They are Hatching and Im having a problem! Day 22 ONE last question..

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
Ok so I have 15 eggs. 6 have hatched 8 remain and 1 died during pipping. He started before I woke up this morning at 5:30 am and hadnt made an progress or even wiggled. Its 3 hrs later and 3 have hatched since then. Ive seen a few eggs wiggle and a dark ring around a white one which I think is his pecking line made on the inside.

I dont know why the other died. I picked him open and he was very moist just like the others. His yolk sack was about 85% absorbed but it look like there was poop in there.
The 6 chicks that have hatched are kicking and jumping all over the unhatched eggs. This is making me wonder if its going to raise mortality rate.

What should I be looking out for right now?

Last edited:
Don't open the bator....

You knew that.

If the one with the ring hasn't progressed in 12 hours you may need to help it.

Even under a broody, they don't all make it.

Natures way...

The chicks just jumping all over the tops of the others. They were all on Xs and now they have been tossed around are on their sides and Os sticking up.
Will this not bother the chicks that have still not hatched?

That's why I use cartons. Keeps the eggs stable during lockdown.

Yours should still be fine as long as the humidity stays stable... at 65% (or above when one hatches).

They should be fine. That is why I like to hatch in egg cartons, I hate to see them play kickball with each other.

When you open the incubator Sarah you are letting out the "important" moisture that keeps the membranes soft and pliable so that the chicks can zip through.

If you did open the incubator, some may be stuck now. It only takes a moment of lost humidity to do that. Then again some others don't have a problem when they do... I just never open the incubator anymore. Those that don't make it are not meant to be. It makes me sad, but there is usually a reason why they didn't make it.

Ive still had no new hatches but 2 have made a little x in their eggs. The have been like that for about an hour to hour and a half. No movement at all..

Same here, only none have hatched, just one pip and one little crack in another, not really a pip yet. And the one who's pipped has been that way since around 4 or 5 this morning. So we wait.

Quote:
Anything yet?

One of them pipped a tad bit more about 2 pm and nothing more has come out yet.

Yall think some will still hatch on day 22-23? I did have a low temp spell a couple days ago.
Its kinda odd that the ones that hatched were all from the middle to the top left. All of the ones from the right and lower left havent..

Nope, it's been the same for 11 hours now...
hmm.png

Hope things pick up for us.

Back
Top Bottom