They have arrived

I wonder if area being raised in is a factor, in south Florida 80s are typical for us this time of year, we've even had some 90s... No idea if we start another round if they' would make it through the summer if this is an issue :/

Well The first time I ever did meat birds The process date was in july and it was super hot and rainy So Thease times I order for february and process in march and april Perfect weather Not to hot not too cold , This is my experience

No I didn't loose any due to heat It was my first time doing meat birds , it was 3 years ago I just remember it being 4th of July and I was out there gutting and plucking and it was so hot In July in Florida This is why Now I plan earlier in the year so It is nicer weather I order the birds for February and process in march - April Before all that heat hits now My freezer is fully stocked and I even sold a total of 8 birds to people at work Because I wasn't going to be stupid and give them away for free Like I did in the past
he.gif

yup exactly Have your water @ 154 it is perfect temp for a few dunks and swooshes and its ready to pluck if the water is too hot it will cook it and tear the skin , Trial and error on my part I have done a lot of research on line ,

14 done yesterday! I paid a processor $1.50 to do them - and it was all done in 30 minutes. They had everything all set up and ready to go - what a great place, and totally worth the price :) They were 10 weeks old exactly yesterday - and ranged between 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 pounds. It's a struggle waiting 2 days for them to "rest" before trying them out, though!!

OH WOW those look great !!
wee.gif

Yea it is worth the wait to 10 or more weeks My next round is going to be smaller and I will wait to like 12 weeks to see If I can get a real nice roaster size But All said and done I got 176 lbs of chicken would have been more if I didn't loose the 10 in the beginning

Thanks!! It's great to get such nice words the first time you do something :) These were red rangers - and I guess I could have let them go a little longer but I'm pleased with the weight :) I'm going to try the cornish cross next .... now that I know what I'm looking for with respect to leg issues and things I think I'll be able to keep them until I know they're big enough. I was never really sure... is that one limping? is he going to make it? The way they ran around when I went to get them that morning to take them to the processor's they were just fine and none of them had any heart issues either! LOL. Also - I think I need a bigger scale next time. The scale I used was fine for them until they were about 6 weeks and then their leg stance was too big and they couldn't fit on the scale anymore .... I really didn't have any idea how much they weighed!

Can it just be done with a large stock pot on a burner outside? Im kinda thinking about foregoing getting a turkey boiler as this is our first (and maybe last) time doing it?? Im not sure still ;) I have a camping grill...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom