They have lights and sirens for a reason folks!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Just found out that my husband, a police officer, was involved in a bad collision in his patrol car. He was unhurt, thank goodness but his patrol car was totaled.

He was on his way to a rollover accident, approached and proceeded through a 4 way intersection the way they are trained to (he's been policing for 30 years, so he knows what he's doing). A young driver with her head somewhere other than on her shoulders decided she could make it through the intersection before he did.

I feel like a public safety message but please remember something. You need to pull over and out of the way of emergency vehicles running their lights and sirens. In most states if there is a police officer with a stopped vehicle on the roadway by law you are supposed to get in the lane furthest from them if you can safely do so. You never know, one day that police officer, firefighters or EMTs could be on their way to help your loved one or save your property.

Oh Kat, I'm so glad he's OK.
I just don't understand why people can't GET OUT OF THE WAY! How would you feel if that was an ambulance on it's way to take care of one of your family members or a fire truck on it's way to your house???????
That had to scare the wits out of you, too...are you OK?
Thank God he's safe!!!!!!
Sorry, I got so bent out of shape that I reposted almost everything you said....
smile.png
All I saw was that your DH was in an accident...kinda lost me for the most part after that!

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah hun I'm fine. He just called to tell me before I heard it through the grapevine. News travels fast in small towns.

I don't understand why people think they can beat the police/firemen through intersections. Pull over, dangit! It's like people that try to beat trains. Sheesh!!!

My BIL is a fireman. He was in one of the great, big, giant red screamingly loud fire trucks that was bellowing its way to a fire when they got to an intersection. They came to a slow down halt (as they are supposed to), laid on the horn (as they are supposed to), looked for traffic (as they are supposed to) and proceeded through the intersection. At which point some idiot lady came barrelling through and ran into them. And the lady had to audacity to be angry at the firemen because she hit them.
roll.png

I'm glad your honey is okay, Grits.
hugs.gif

Thanks y'all. The last thing we needed was for him to get hurt. It's been a year and five months since he was injured on the job, dealing with a drunk 17 year old that wrecked his daddys truck. Keith is still wearing a compression stocking on his right leg due to the blood clot that won't dissolve. Retirement is looking better and better, at least to me.

So glad your hubby was unhurt!! It's wretched that people think they should be able to go right ahead of an emergency vehicle. My gosh, it could have been so much worse than just a totalled car. I hope to heck whoever caused that accident is charged and severely fined!!

Back
Top Bottom