They jumped the fence

HyLinda

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
Warrens, WI
I have 3 roos and 5 pullets - new this spring. They've been free-ranging in my big fenced in back yard. Now they've decided to jump the fence and go into the woods. Should I let them continue free-ranging or confine them. If they go farther, into the neighbor's cranberry beds I'm sure they will have to be locked up.
idunno.gif

Ours go under and over the fence into the woods at will. They all come running home when they hear our call and see the white bucket with scratch
big_smile.png

The question is this...do you want them to have an enjoyable life of free-ranging and just being chickens...or do you want to keep them protected in a run. Not saying that one is better than the other...just a choice that we all have to make for ourselves.

Quote:
Ditto. My chickens are the same way. They free range within an "acceptable" distance but they come running when I call them or when I shake the bucket that has the feed or treats for the day. I let them be chickens who have a great life but at the same time, I use good judgment as far as how far they can go. You will have decide what is best for your chickens.

It seems the figured out how to get over the fence into the woods, but when I called them and brought their food bucket - they just did not want to come back into the yard
sad.png
Three of them climbed up the ladder I put on the other side of the fence, but just sat there at the top. They ate out of my hand but just stayed on the ladder and would not come back in the yard. Just because there are ripe rasberries on the other side! Guess I'll have to wait for sundown to see if they figure it out. I really miss seeing them in my back yard
hit.gif

SOMEBODY (me
he.gif
) left the gate open! I called them back in through the gate and they had lunch. Now they are all back in the yard. There are 2 pullets, however, that will go over the fence on their own. Hopefully the rest won't learn that trick.

If they are free ranging in the woods all it takes is one loose dog or fox and they'll be gone real quick. Personally I'd put up a light net above the fence to keep them in your yard. Better a little freedom than a lot of dead chickens.

I had one of our girls that learned that she could fly over the fence of their run. As soon as she took off, 6 more followed.Since then I put up some lightweight deer netting. She quickly learned that she couldn't make it through the netting and hasn't tried to escape since.

Just my 2 cents though.

Back
Top Bottom