They took down a bird?!?!?!

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
I should have posted this when I saw it but I forgot to. 1 week ago on Wed. I was outside with my young cockerels and one pullet (don't worry they're siblings and young). I went to the garage to get mealworms and I heard a screaming noise so I thought someone was getting hurt but when I rush back they're tearing apart a small bird! Chasing eachother over the limbs and such. It looked like a finch type bird. I didn't stop them but I'm wondering is that unusual?

No, I have seen birds get into the runs, and the chickens will kill and eat them if they get a chance. They are omnivores, meaning they eat everything. I would rather they didn't , because I worry about diseases and mites. So if I see them, I try to free the birds before they get eaten.

You are scaring me!
ep.gif

We have six 18 week pullets who chase birds in the yard when we let them free range. To date the birds just fly away. I will have to tell my wife to be watchfull.

Suppose the cockerels and hen thought it was an over sized bug...
sickbyc.gif

They will kill and eat just about anything they can catch... People are often shocked at who chickens really are
lol.png
Been around them all my life and I seen some stuff I have....

Back
Top Bottom