They won't use the roost. What can i do??

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
Hey everyone I recently moved my small flock of oegb's from their "grow out" pen to their "big chicken" pen and they won't use the roost. They just sleep in a big pile on the ground. I'm scared something will try to reach through the wire and get them while they're sleeping and really want them to use the roost. What can i do to get them to use the roost?

can you post photos? Can they get into the roost? What did you put down on the floor? It seems like they usually naturally like to roost and lay in boxes... not sure...
roll.png

My RIRs took about a week for the furst one to hop up. It was probably another couple days before she slept up there. Every few days after, another would get the idea. The last (of 6) decided the waterer was a better roost. After about a month, she finally gave in to peer pressure.

I have read that you can go in after dark and lift them up and place them on the roost. After a couple days, they are supposed to get the hint. I tried that with the waterer roosting chick with no luck, but you may have better luck. Is there any chance they are either too small or too big to get up to the roost?

I had the same problem . then one night I went in the dark , lifted them up and put them where they suppose to be. Never had a problem again. You might have to check on them for a few nights and repeat until they get it

Hey everyone I did what yall said to do. When it
Got dark I went in and tried to place them on the roost. They FREAKED OUT
And refused to stay on it.
sad.png

I think you should try to move them after they are asleep for awhile when it's really too dark for them to see. Just take a little flashlight in there with you. If you tried to move them before they were completely settled down for sleep mode that could explain their reaction and craziness.

It took me more than a week to get mine to sleep on the roost. They were terrified when we first put it in - they wouldn't even come back in the pen, but piled up on the lawn furniture. I had to carry fifty chickens back inside and set them on the roost for three nights. (The ones I didn't find, the dog ate.)

Then they all wanted to pile up on the feed bins just outside the coop door, so I had to haul them in from there for a few days. And pick up the ones who still wanted to sleep on the floor of the coop. But FINALLY they decided to sleep on the roosts!

I went through all that so I would have them trained to sleep up high before I installed the nest boxes. But it was worth it - they don't sleep on the nests, the nests stay clean, and I'm happy!

try placing them, on the roost after they have gone to sleep, for a few days.. It takes them a while to get used to their new surrounds and to know what you want of them... If they are still small try making a lower roost to start w/ and then they will gradually move up at they grow..

I worried and fretted about the same thing when my first chickens were young and moved into the coop. I tried patiently placing them up on the roost at dusk and as each one jumped back down immediately as I picked up the next one, I realized that I wasn't going to win that battle! I finally just gave up and eventually (it wasn't that long, either) they did it on their own. Why? No idea, except that their chicken life-clock said "roost now". I didn't have to worry about their safety, however, and I guess I would say if you only have chicken wire containing them, just roosting may not be enough to protect them, so you might want to rethink predator-proofing their housing. Good luck

Quote:
I went through this a short while ago and that's exactly what I did. I tried it twice. First time most jumped off and it was a futile effort. The second time they fussed a bit but only a couple jumped off. After that I let them be. Within a couple days after my second attempt every one was sleeping on the roosts at night.

Back
Top Bottom