They're gonna be drakes, dagnabit! Now what!?

Quote:
The only problem that I have with processing is doing "the deed". After it's done, I can pluck feathers, etc. I just can't start things off. We process a lot of roos every year. The only thing we don't process are the sheep. The rams go to the butcher and we just pick up the meat.

Quote:
Do you process everything yourselves?

Yes, we do. I have someone that comes over and I help him.

Do you skin them kuntrygirl? my dh skinned out last roos and it went so much faster. Haven't done any drakes yet.

Quote:
Yes, we do. I have someone that comes over and I help him.

Do you skin them kuntrygirl? my dh skinned out last roos and it went so much faster. Haven't done any drakes yet.

We have never skinned the roos but we will be skinning all of the drakes. I heard that is does go faster. I will surely find out this weekend. I will probably post pics in the Meat Bird section of the final product. I know that we will be doing this ALL DAY LONG.
hmm.png
But it's either that or continue to pay tons of money for feed $$$$$$$$.

Quote:

We have never skinned the roos but we will be skinning all of the drakes. I heard that is does go faster. I will surely find out this weekend. I will probably post pics in the Meat Bird section of the final product. I know that we will be doing this ALL DAY LONG.
hmm.png
But it's either that or continue to pay tons of money for feed $$$$$$$$.

I'll be interested to hear how it goes, the process was so easy compared to the plucking of the chickens so I'm sure you'll find skinning the ducks to go pretty fast and especially having to od so many. Thats alot of drakes to skin.

Well, this may be a regional thing, but might I suggest you sell at least some of the drakes rather than process them? I know I have had quite a few inquiries this year from people specifically looking for drakes...seems to be a shortage of them this year, at least here. Might vary by breed or region...last year I was swamped with drakes, of which I did find homes for all, but this seems to not be the case this year.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have sold some. In my area, the only people that are looking for drakes are those who want to eat them. Duck gumbo is popular in south louisiana and people want the drakes for gumbo as well as other dishes. Unfortunately no one wants the drakes. I get 98% of requests from people looking for hens. A drake is just not popular in my area. I agree with you when you said that it varies by breed and region. I wish they were because I would surely sell them so that they could live their lives out in someone's back yard or pond. I have posted several ads on Craigslist trying to sell them and I have received a lot of responses. The people that have purchased them have purchased "packages" of 1 drake & 8 hens. So, for every group of hens that I sell, I am only able to sell 1 drake. I feel bad that no one wants the boys.
sad.png

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have sold some. In my area, the only people that are looking for drakes are those who want to eat them. Duck gumbo is popular in south louisiana and people want the drakes for gumbo as well as other dishes. Unfortunately no one wants the drakes. I get 98% of requests from people looking for hens. A drake is just not popular in my area. I agree with you when you said that it varies by breed and region. I wish they were because I would surely sell them so that they could live their lives out in someone's back yard or pond. I have posted several ads on Craigslist trying to sell them and I have received a lot of responses. The people that have purchased them have purchased "packages" of 1 drake & 8 hens. So, for every group of hens that I sell, I am only able to sell 1 drake. I feel bad that no one wants the boys.
sad.png

it is sad because my boys are really sweet.

I suspect that Easter is a great time for hatcheries to unload a lot of their male chicks and ducklings on people who don't have a clue. Serves 'em right, too, as far as I am concerned if they don't do any research before purchasing.

In order to buy sexed ducks, you have to ask for sexed ducks and pay more money for them. Your chances of getting females from the bargain bin are on the small side.

So, eat your drakes. Roast duck is delicious. If you want duck eggs, then order and pay extra for females and order one of the breeds known to be prolific layers.

Back
Top Bottom