They're Hatching! Day 20 for Glenda *PICS ADDED*

yes, Cyn, if I were having that problem..that is exactly what you would have told me to do.
smile.png
You are under way too much stress this year.
hugs.gif
Hope a couple make it.

We moved them to the coke crate nest, which is very big and has no top on it. She has the last three eggs, but I'm checking for pips and the moment we see a pip, that one is coming inside to hatch. I dont have a hatcher set up, but the two babies that are still alive are on a towel in a camp cook pot in the bsmt under a reptile lamp. Looks like one may have intestines out (the one she was trying to eat the yolk on) so if that's the case, he'll not make it. The other one did hatch from her/his crushed shell and is just laying there under the heatlamp, still partly in the shell.

Skye's egg is pipped! And it's now in the camp cook pot under a lamp to hatch. We added humidity by just using very warm water to wet the towel underneath it and will keep an eye on it. So, Glenda has just two BR eggs under her now, neither pipped yet.

When I read this..I got the shivers as I could feel your frustration and hurt.

I have a big BO gal that was great on brooding but once the chick hatched...

She had loads of room so that wasn't her problem. One hatched and then next thing I would hear is a terrible crying/peeping sound. Checked and here this wee baby wobbling on its little feet by the door of the brooder cage, feeling lost and alone. Mom not 2 ft away sitting like nothing was wrong. :mad:
I took it out, got it warmed next to my skin, while I did that I checked under the hen.
I think baby went in that direction cuz another BO mom was hatching across the room and was talking to her new chicks. Baby just wanted to be included.
sad.png

There was one egg crushed (as you had) and one that died as it was also crushed and could not get out.
I do not know why she did that, it was hot out and surely it was not to keep them warm...? If anything I would have thought she would have backed some what away from the eggs...

After I got the little one warmed I thought I would give it back to the mom. She wouldn't have it and proceed to peck at it, like it was some alien thing.
I thought alright, be that way...you just lost your baby!

I watched close after that and ended up having to help one hatch it was so dry. I gave all the babies to another BO mom. She was more than happy to add to her now hatching brood.
Sadly that was repeated with each hatch, she would ignore it or the baby would try to force its way under her and she would not lift to aid the baby. Then it would start crying. Thankfully they all hatched within a couple hours. I spent that time out there with them.

I still don't know why she acted that way. I wish I did as it was heart breaking to see.
The odd thing about it after, she didn't seem to miss her babies, much less want them.

Sry for long post.

Good luck.

Fingers crossed for you Cyn.

I've had that happen as well, several times.

I have a silkie that loves to sit, so I'll let her sit, take the eggs when they start pipping (& give her a couple of other eggs to keep her sitting), hatch out her real ones in the bator, then give her back the babies when they are a couple days old. (And throw out the psuedo eggs.)

Its worked like a charm for her... twice!

Parker, till they are picked up by the person who takes them home, I may have to do that. We'll see how she does with a walking, fluffy chick. Glenda is the sweetest girl, maybe just not mother material. Hey, even humans are that way, huh?
YeOleBroodie, I've heard about that, but this is the first time I've ever had it happen. I've been spoiled by the wonderful broodies I've had so far.

I'm so sorry your going through this. Geez can't anything work the easy way for you this year?

fl.gif
I hope the chicks hatch okay and do well for you.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom