They're Hatching! Day 20 for Glenda *PICS ADDED*

Both remaining BR eggs and the Blue Orp egg are pipped. The one I thought wouldn't make it seems to be rallying. Glenda has one live perky baby and one egg I borrowed as soon as Gypsy laid it to pull a switcheroo on her and take that last pipped egg out. All three pipped eggs and the one baby are in the big camp cook pot on my workbench in the bsmt. So, if they all hatch, that would have been a 100% hatch, if Glenda hadn't smooshed one egg. The two I removed a few days ago were not fertilized at all, not even a bullseye. When all of them hatch, she'll get the fluffed up babies back since she's doing well with the one she has.

Thank you! The last two BR eggs have large holes in them; they are in the house in my camp cook pot with a rice bag for warmth. Glenda has two BRs and one Splash Orpington baby with her. She's doing well with the actual chicks so far; guess I just wont trust her to actually let them hatch alive in the future. Wish these last two would hurry up and zip already!

They sure are making you wait!
fl.gif

Good job in rescuing this hatch Cyn!
jumpy.gif
Glenda may not be a bad mom after all and her next hatches could actually go much better. It is not uncommon for first time moms to get confused when chicks start to hatch. I would definitely give her another shot if she raises the babies well.

Jody

Doggone it Cyn, you have made me want to hatch some buff orpington eggs from my hens now. Trouble is the only roosters I have are cochins...if you don't count the silkie who tries to jump on the hen after the cochin roo gets off!
idunno.gif
Maybe the mixed breed will be heartier? Who knows?
idunno.gif

Jody, you could be right about her getting confused. She crushed one inside the pipped egg then started to eat the little bit of unabsorbed yolk on the other one. That one did live and seems fine. You may recall my Sunny, the first time she went broody before I had a rooster, almost killed herself and we had to implement emergency measures to keep her alive. The second time, she was an exemplary mother, even adopting 25 three-week-old chicks in the pen next to hers. She mothered them all! It was amazing. Not sure when or if Glenda will go broody again, but we'll see on letting her do it again. This year, Sunny hasn't gone broody at all. Guess last year, raising 27 babies, was enough for awhile, LOL.

We're done. I have four Barred Rocks and one Orpington that I thought was splash, but now that I see it in daylight, it's a very, very light blue. All five chicks are with Glenda, so she's in maternal bliss right now. I called the lady who wanted them and left a msg so we'll see how long they stay with mama.

Back
Top Bottom