They're HaTcHiNg !! PIC HEAVY !!!

He has good feedback. And so far none of the other eggs sent are weeping. I have my fingers crossed those were the only two bad ones in the bunch. Eggs shouldn't start to weep less than 48 hrs in the bator....atleast that's how I feel...lol.

What kind did you hatch from Cajun ??

~Julie
smile.png

So the ones that were weepy were from him? His aren't the ones I had a problem with. I had the same kind of assortment that you have. I didn't think I had any of the barnvelders hatch, but there's a couple that aren't marans and they look different than the welsummers I already have. Guess when they're older I'll get it figured out.

Yeah, those were the weepy ones. I am on a list for barnevelders from someone that comes recommended , she is suppose to have very good stock.

I have other maran eggs in the bator from someone else on eggbid. They are assorted colors and the eggs are different shades of browns and all labeled what pen they came from color wise. I bid on them because I wanted some of the golden marans.

The eggs from cajun all look exactly the same brown splotchy color which makes me think they are all from the same pen/coop. I would think if you lined up a maran egg, a barnevelder egg and a welsummer egg you would see variations in them.

If your chicks look different do you think maybe they are a mix of the breeds ?? Have any pics ??

To be honest in the end it won't matter since I am just doing my own personal barnyard flock for my own pleasure not breeding.

Julie
smile.png

There were definately 3 different kinds of egg from him. I haven't taken any pictures of any of the chicks for awhile now. Maybe when it warms up again I can get out there and get some. The ones that I don't what they are are pretty dark and look like they might have some lacing on them....so I'm hoping they actually might be a barnvelder. Time will tell what they are I guess. I also have some from another ebay person and I don't think those are what they were supposed to be. They haven't replied to my emails. From here on out I think I'm sticking with BYC people and a couple of other people I've done business with and had good luck with their eggs.

p.s. i can tell the difference between my own marans and welsummer eggs.

Last edited:
I appreciate all your info Katy.
big_smile.png

I have guilt this morning. I cracked open an egg that was collected yesterday to put on my cats kibble ( I give them a raw egg daily) and there was a partially developed chick inside. It was a banty egg so I can only assume my son found a hidden nest from one of the silkies. While I am gone to work my son collects eggs in the late afternoon.

He's still asleep this morning but I will have to quiz him on where he found it and see if I can find who is broody out in the coops. I've been watching , I thought very closely, so none of my gals keep eggs outside because it's so cold. I brought one silkie with her nest in and the others I have been swapping golf balls for eggs.

Julie
smile.png

I have been "watching" Cajun's eggs. They just fly off of EBAY.

Julie,

I am sorry to hear about the egg with the chick. I hope you find out who the broody is, and if there were anymore eggs there.

It came from a nest box that two silkies had been sharing. I kept swapping their eggs for golf balls. They sat for over a month. My guess is the egg was buried in the straw at some point and until another hen decided to use that box the straw wasn't dug up.

I have a brahma and a chantecler that are thinking about going broody.

I'm glad I haven't missed a nest. I will just remember to dig around more in the boxes.... still can't believe it was missed all this time. The chick was close to being done.

Julie
smile.png

Well time for an update.

Day 10~

ebay batch ~ 2- more icky eggs. Pitched both.

Eggbid batch ~3 growing fertile blue rocks and 3 CLEAR.
The marans it is very difficult to tell on most. The golden are lighter in color so I have 1- yes growing fertile 1- maybe(not as advanced as the other so I mark as questionable) and 1-CLEAR. I noted 2 of the blue as being CLEAR.

Again I think the eggbid batch is going to be a surprise at the end...lol.

Bama Orps batch ~ 4 buffs growing fertile, 2 mottleds growing fertile and 3 CLEAR. 3~ blues.. all CLEAR. 5 ~black.. all CLEAR. 1-maybe splash and 2 - CLEAR splash.

I'll be honest and say I am disappointed in so many clear eggs, but shipping can be rough and I knew that going in.
sad.png

I will just have to keep my fingers crossed the ones that are growing continue to do well and hatch healthy.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

I will re-candle mid week before pitching eggs. That will help to answer my questionable maybe eggs (excusing the dark marans of course). The CLEARS will make a lot of room in the bator once I pitch them.

The silkie is sitting tight on the 5 eggs from my flock. She is due to hatch them out next Saturday. I haven't candled them as she is viciously guarding them..lol.

I have 5 eggs from my flock in the bator as well. They are growing fertile and I am anxious to see what
jumpy.gif
out. I have my entire flock together in the same run for the winter. They split up into 2 coops but share the run.

Once this is done I will probably set more eggs as I have promised to give my brother's family chicks in the spring.

Julie

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Please keep this thread going, its interesting.

Just goes to show you that when you think you have too many eggs to incubate, you may actually have not enough.

Thanks for the update. I am listening out for the hatch. All the Orpies I have in the bator growing are out of the Bl and Sp pens. I did hatch a buff and it is twice as big right now as the blue ones. Cute too.

Back
Top Bottom