... THEY'RE HERE!!!! Day 45!!!

They're a week old now. During the past week, they figured out why they have legs - for jumping on each other and mindlessly scratching in the litter. Also, they discovered their wings and the beauty of imaginary flight. Of course, if one finds something interesting to do - like pecking at a staple - they all have to run or "fly" to investigate.

Sad to say, one chick failed to thrive and went into the tunnel of light to discover what awaits chickens on the "other side". Maybe the joy of actual flight?

Already, tail feathers are sprouting (precious!) as they begin to enter their awkward adolescence. They'll soon turn ugly for a brief period as they start to grow feathers where there were none before. Will they know that's OK - that these changes are normal & expected as their bodies blossom into full henhood? Who will explain the strange new feelings they're experiencing? It's such a confusing time for young girl chicks, huh?

The coop remains in the conceptual stage. There are several obstacles, real and imagined. The pressure is on - the chicks are growing fast.

98373_chicks_-_week_1i_800x600.jpg

98373_chicks_-_week_1h_800x600.jpg

98373_chicks_-_week_1g_800x600.jpg

98373_chicks_-_week_1f_800x600.jpg

98373_chicks_-_week_1e_800x586.jpg

ALL your chicks are adorable! and maybe you already said...but i missed it, but what breed are the yellow and white chicks? they're very pretty.

Not sure which ones you're referring to, but there are mottled javas (yellow/black); dominiques (black/grey); buckeyes (buff - dark & light); and polish (dark brown with the fuzzball on top of the head) in the mix.

The buckeye chicks are supposed to be all females, but the striped, light buff ones and the dark buff ones sure look different. Seems like too much color variation for one gender (look to be the same breed).

Last edited:
We begin week 3 of the story. By now, the chicks are more feather than down. They're starting to perch on anything they can get on top of. It's amazing how fast they grow. It's hard to believe these chicks are just hitting day 14. They're jumping, "flying", and pecking at anything remotely interesting. The "hive" mind thing is a blast - if one does it, they all have to follow. Good fun. Better than TV. So far, so good. Enjoy the new pics.

98373_chicks_-_week_2a.jpg

98373_chicks_-_week_2b.jpg

Can you spot the Polish?

98373_chicks_-_week_2c.jpg

The mottled java is starting to come out...

98373_chicks_-_week_2d.jpg

The dominiques are showing their colors...

98373_chicks_-_week_2e.jpg

98373_chicks_-_week_2f.jpg

The buckeyes look like ... well, not buckeyes

Last edited:
cute!! I have week old chicks that I am also racing to accommodate. Our coop is done but working on making sure the run is as safe from predators as possible. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom