... THEY'RE HERE!!!! Day 45!!!

Good question. I was wondering the same thing. The label shows pics of worms, crickets, etc., could those be critters? Maybe there's folks who don't know which lifeforms are classified as animals (vs plants): "Sir, your live animals have arrived at the post office". "Live what?". "Uh, I mean your CRITTERS are here." "Are you serious!? My critters are here already! Awesome sauce!!!"

Last edited:
Day 26. I can't believe how fast these things are growing. I had to cover the top - we found one roosting on the top of the brooder wall. Things are getting cramped in the 16 sq ft brooder. A friend took 6 of the chicks to augment his flock - but we still have 18 left. Bride o Kwyjibo can't bear to part with anymore. We'll see!

Oh - I finally started on the coop the day before yesterday. I'm trying to build with re-purposed materials. Probably about 80% so far. The pics below show about 10 hrs of work. The noise, smell, and dust in the basement are highly motivating.

So, for you newbies just getting chicks, look what you're gonna see on day 26! I guess they'll get uglier before they get pretty!

98373_chicks_-_day_26.jpg

98373_chicks_-_day_26a.jpg

98373_chicks_-_day_26b.jpg

98373_chicks_-_day_26c.jpg

98373_chicks_-_day_26d.jpg

98373_chicks_-_day_26e.jpg

98373_chicks_-_day_26f.jpg

98373_chicks_-_day_26g.jpg

98373_chicks_-_day_26h.jpg

Oh, and the door on the coop - off an old dilapidated outhouse we recently uncovered on the property. It was covered under decades of overgrowth. I was gonna use the seat as the access hole for the coop but it was too far gone!

Beautiful chickies!

Pardon my ignorance, but what are those ropes hanging down near the wall inside? Just wondering if it's for them to play with or something?

Oh, the rope. I was using the rope like a handle to lift the brooder box. It was a loop. Somehow they untied the knot. I have to take it off.

You're right. It appears they have been playing with it.

nice! Cute chicks, and yes, they do get ugly before they get beautiful!

The coop is coming along great! You are doing it like my hubby and I did....although we used a tool room
in our barn...wonderful~!

Enjoy the chicks...they will be great big soon enough and you will fall in love...you get kinda
weird, sitting and watching, talking to them...and such!
celebrate.gif

Wow, it's been weeks since the last update. The camera was lost. Plus, things are changing so fast - it's hard to keep up with the story!!! It all started with the ultimatum to get the chicks out of the basement. So, there was a mad dash to get phase one of the coop completed. Still much to do, but it's habitable. We're trying to get the major work wrapped up before the long, dismal Northwest winter sets it.

The flock has taken a strange turn - going off in new directions. Dominiques, buckeyes, javas, & polish remain the mainstays.

Here's the coop:

Some general pics of life in the coop:

Some portraits of the flock members:

First, a Buckeye

Second, a Dom

Third, a Java

A proud Polish

A Dom in action

What the heck happened?

Quote:
Oh, and the door on the coop - off an old dilapidated outhouse That's so funny. When I first saw that door I thought ''That looks like an outhouse door''.I had no clue I was right.

Your chickies are very cute and gotta love the coop.
love.gif

Great job!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom