They're Here! The Girls are Here!

ncmtnmama

Chirping
Feb 13, 2020
Western North Carolina
OK, I'm like a new mom! Our six little girls arrived today. I've been reading this site for nearly two years getting ready. I think the heat lamp is positioned well, no one is piling up or saying on the far end all the time. Sometimes when the nap they go down under the lamp, mostly they seem comfortable.

We picked them up about 10:00 this morning, so we are just giving them time to rest up. They are either two or three days old. They eat, drink, nap, repeat. One seems to have the least strength, but I'm not too concerned. She is eating and drinking and pooping! some are favoring the water with electrolytes, the others are fine with plain water.

One of our dogs, Angus has decided he is the nursemaid. We are keeping an eye on him closely, but for now, he seems content to watch them. The other two dogs have no interest.

I think we're doing OK.. thanks to everyone who has asked questions and those have answered while I've done the research! I've attached a few pics from today like any proud mama!

Attachments

• IMG_0439 (1).jpg
    IMG_0439 (1).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0441 (1).jpg
    IMG_0441 (1).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 4
Aww! Just a heads-up -- mine started to fly up after a week or two to perch on the edge (and sometimes fall off), so you might think about putting some wire on top of the box! (I can't see if you have a cover). It seems that small chickens go through a phase where they're light enough to fly pretty well. My big ones can't fly at all but we got them after they were grown. :idunno

Aww! Just a heads-up -- mine started to fly up after a week or two to perch on the edge (and sometimes fall off), so you might think about putting some wire on top of the box! (I can't see if you have a cover). It seems that small chickens go through a phase where they're light enough to fly pretty well. My big ones can't fly at all but we got them after they were grown. :idunno
Thanks, we do have a screen cover, just not on in the pictures. They are perkier this morning and I've to one hopping pretty high!

Congrats!!! I recommend a thermometer just to make sure the heat lamp is at the proper height. Or you could just check them temp. every so often with a heat gun. But listen to what the chicks are telling you. I had one who would scream at me because she didn't know how to get under the heat plate when I first got her. Otherwise best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom