They're Nearly All Dead

Thanks. What kind of money are you talking about? What are your sources for tests and birds? Thanks so much.

I have no idea since I don't know where you are or what your state resources are. If you're in California, I think you can get it done for free (with discounted FedEx shipping) and I'd be happy to send you the information. Otherwise, I'd advise following the advice of others and looking into what the options are in your local.

This all started happening when I bought new chickens in Feb'Mar of this year. They looked great of course when I bought them and the sellers' places looked good too.
The water has been treated twice since spring with fowl wormer. I am convinced that I have to get inoculated birds maybe 7 months from now but I can't buy a whole gaggle of chicks like McMurray wants to sell. Any ideas? Thanks to EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES!!
There is probably a pretty high likelihood that your new birds were carriers of something and brought it into your existing flock. If this started at the same time you brought the new birds in. It really does not matter that the breeder you bought them from seemed to "looked good too" it could have been something they held dormant until they got into a new environment. Clean your coop and run really good. There are a number of threads on BYC that give examples of what you should do. Let everything rest then, if you want to get new birds, there are places that ship small orders. They do charge a little more for them but you could get just what you wanted then. Also, Ideal Poultry (they usually have a link at the bottom of these pages) sell on a 25.00 minimum and their shipping is pretty reasonable. However, depending on the time of year, they may add quite a few free male chicks for body warmth so plan and schedule your order to be in nicer weather.

Sorry for such a horrible loss you have had to deal with. I know loosing one is hard enough but to see them waste and die before your eyes must be almost unbearable. Best of luck.

Thank you. I really appreciate your response. I just came in from the coop. I've taken all obljects out of there and have washed them down. Next I will spray with bleach. I just took a look at that silkie who had fowl pox. It's back. She has nine lives, however. She's running around, eating and acts fine. But looks terrible. I can't stand the idea of culling her because she has been through SO much. But as long as she's in there no other bird is safe. Now that's the Pox issue, which has nothing to do with the Marek's virus or whatever the other killer is. I am going to let these things run their course or as you say, let the place rest.

Back
Top Bottom