They're wasting 40 lbs of food!!!

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
I have a 5 gal bucket with holes in the sides set into an oil pan. This is what I've been using as my feeder. My chicks are a good three months old, and the edge of the oil pan is about 6 inches off the coop floor. I just filled their bucket up yesterday with about 20 lbs of food, and it's already almost all gone (I have 20 chickens out there) QUITE A BIT is all over the floor. What the heck can I do to get them to stop wasting it all???? Feed is expensive!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!

I was wondering if maybe I should just feed them three times a day instead of giving them free access to the food....the ppl in chat suggested I don't put so much in, but the last time I tried that they had 5 lbs instead of 20 scattered across the floor and they wanted more....

Yes, raise the feeders. However, there are some girls who'll insist on throwing food left and right no matter how high you raise them. Once my girls were older, I switched them over to pellets and have wasted FAR less food.

Having a blonde moment, but I just couldn't figure out how they were flying and eating at the same time. (LOL!) Anyways my chicks waste sooo much food everyday. I think they waste more then they eat. I can't find a container small enough for my 6 chicks that I can hang.

I have to agree with everyone on here. Raise the feeder and switch to pellets as soon as you can. Mine waste MUCH less now with pellets
smile.png

Quote:
How do they eat?

I think she meant chicken shoulder LOL!!!

Yes, I meant their shoulders....not mine!
smile.png
They have to stretch to reach it a little, but they can still eat just fine.

Back
Top Bottom