They're wasting 40 lbs of food!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cjeanean, Apr 29, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I have a 5 gal bucket with holes in the sides set into an oil pan. This is what I've been using as my feeder. My chicks are a good three months old, and the edge of the oil pan is about 6 inches off the coop floor. I just filled their bucket up yesterday with about 20 lbs of food, and it's already almost all gone (I have 20 chickens out there) QUITE A BIT is all over the floor. What the heck can I do to get them to stop wasting it all???? Feed is expensive!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Try raising the feeder so they have to stretch to get feed.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd hang the feeder. If I hang mine about shoulder heighth they can't shove it out so easily. I raise my chicks feeders as they grow.

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I was wondering if maybe I should just feed them three times a day instead of giving them free access to the food....the ppl in chat suggested I don't put so much in, but the last time I tried that they had 5 lbs instead of 20 scattered across the floor and they wanted more....

5. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:How do they eat?

6. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri

I think she meant chicken shoulder LOL!!!

7. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Yes, raise the feeders. However, there are some girls who'll insist on throwing food left and right no matter how high you raise them. Once my girls were older, I switched them over to pellets and have wasted FAR less food.

8. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Having a blonde moment, but I just couldn't figure out how they were flying and eating at the same time. (LOL!) Anyways my chicks waste sooo much food everyday. I think they waste more then they eat. I can't find a container small enough for my 6 chicks that I can hang.

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have to agree with everyone on here. Raise the feeder and switch to pellets as soon as you can. Mine waste MUCH less now with pellets [​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think she meant chicken shoulder LOL!!!

Yes, I meant their shoulders....not mine! [​IMG] They have to stretch to reach it a little, but they can still eat just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by