They've PIPPED!!!

Sooz

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
n ireland
I am completely new to hatching eggs and was just about to give up hope, but today there are pipps and I can actually hear chirping. I have call duck eggs being hatched by a hen. I realy was sure all had gone wrong as I thought the chicks were due last tuesday. I am so excited. I hope they are born soon although I know it could take up to 24 hours. I keep lifting the hen off to check progress I guess I should not do this but I am so afraid that the chicks or should I say ducklings will get squashed. Someone tell me to relax and leave nature to take its course please. Oh and wish me luck. Can anyone tell me if its OK to give the chicks pin head oats as a first feed? The feed shop only has massive bags of chick crumb.

I will try and be patient. I was just about to go out for another look but I won't. I just can't wait to see them. Another question. The nest is in a box which has sides which are about 12 inches high - will the chicks be able to get out themselves when they are older or should I put them in something with smaller sides with mum after they are hached?

Quote:
Yes, be patient!!! We all know how hard it is, but well worth the wait, trust me!!!! SO excited for you!!! Good luck!!!

I will keep you posted. I am just so disssapointed that my 10 year old son has gone on his school trip today to Scotland for a week as he is my chicken helper and is missing all the action. At least all the excitement of the chicks is keeping me from missing him as this is his first time out of the country.

Back
Top Bottom