Thickness for Pine Shavings - how often to change/clean

please forgive me if this seems to be a dumb question, I'm new to flock raising. What are poop boards?
A board under the roosts that collects the poops so they can be cleaned up easily daily or every few days. Chickens poop a lot at night. Just cleaning under the roosts more often is another option. There are no stupid questions. :)

Hi All - another question about raising my 3 week old chicks in a 6’x6’ coop outside. I am using mini flake pine shavings. How thick should they be on the floor and how often should I change them? The floor of the coop is slippery, it has an epoxy finish, easy to clean.
What should I add to keep the smell down, and how often do I add more flakes?
Thanks in advance, from New Chick Mom
All good suggestions by everyone.
Are you already smelling them at 3 weeks? Are you keeping your coop closed up tightly and how much ventilation does it have? A closed up coop will smell and won't be good for the chicks either - just a though on that.

Slick floors can be dangerous for you and chickens, so be careful in there! A nice thick layer of bedding will help. Once your chicks start roosting watch where they land/jump to and make sure they have deep bedding in that part or they will be skidding around.
Wonder how I know this:D

Just my 2¢

All good suggestions by everyone.
Are you already smelling them at 3 weeks? Are you keeping your coop closed up tightly and how much ventilation does it have? A closed up coop will smell and won't be good for the chicks either - just a though on that.

Slick floors can be dangerous for you and chickens, so be careful in there! A nice thick layer of bedding will help. Once your chicks start roosting watch where they land/jump to and make sure they have deep bedding in that part or they will be skidding around.
Wonder how I know this:D

Just my 2¢

There is ventilation at both peaks, maybe 6”x8” with a house type register cover. There is a little smell, not too bad. Not an ammonia smell, just poo. I did an almost 100% clean today and put down about 2” of mini pine flake.

Any other suggestions on what to put on the slippery floor to hold the bedding in place? I was using puppy pee pads, but they started to scratch them so much and grab pieces off of it (I’m afraid they’ll try to eat it). I was thinking about eventually going to a sand floor.

FYI - the epoxy floor was recommended by the place I bought it from for easier cleaning - I had no idea that it being slippery would be an issue to the girls. Should have thought that thru more.

There is ventilation at both peaks, maybe 6”x8” with a house type register cover. There is a little smell, not too bad. Not an ammonia smell, just poo. I did an almost 100% clean today and put down about 2” of mini pine flake.

Any other suggestions on what to put on the slippery floor to hold the bedding in place? I was using puppy pee pads, but they started to scratch them so much and grab pieces off of it (I’m afraid they’ll try to eat it). I was thinking about eventually going to a sand floor.

FYI - the epoxy floor was recommended by the place I bought it from for easier cleaning - I had no idea that it being slippery would be an issue to the girls. Should have thought that thru more.
See how slippery it is. Shavings and dirt may naturally sand it over a couple of months.
If you aren't sliding, then they may not either.

As for ventilation - depends on your set-up/housing, often times you will find you need much more than you have. This article will give you an idea of how much you need. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/c...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

09E592C1-7A1A-4397-AEDF-CD615D7531A3.jpeg
D8394303-502D-4083-ADD9-7089F15143EA.jpeg
9705293F-3403-4515-9BF5-69C03A63BC33.jpeg
DD5C559E-8D13-4EAA-A150-6E3D2F301961.jpeg
9705293F-3403-4515-9BF5-69C03A63BC33.jpeg
D8394303-502D-4083-ADD9-7089F15143EA.jpeg
See how slippery it is. Shavings and dirt may naturally sand it over a couple of months.
If you aren't sliding, then they may not either.

As for ventilation - depends on your set-up/housing, often times you will find you need much more than you have. This article will give you an idea of how much you need. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/c...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

I do have a rubber mat that I used in their brooder that I can put on their landing area ... that will definitely hold the shavings in place, too. I’ll add that the next time I do a clean out.

Here is a pic of the ventilation, it is actually 15”x7” and there is one at each end/peak of the 6’x6’ enclosed area (I think I’m going to add hardware cloth inside to be more secure). We have two windows on the front with glass and a large (4.5’ x 8” rectangle) opening with a door on the back. Appreciate your thoughts.

Girls are already going to the high ground! They still roost/sleep on the ground but are exploring like crazy!

View attachment 1564218 View attachment 1564215 View attachment 1564214 View attachment 1564213 View attachment 1564214 View attachment 1564215

I do have a rubber mat that I used in their brooder that I can put on their landing area ... that will definitely hold the shavings in place, too. I’ll add that the next time I do a clean out.

Here is a pic of the ventilation, it is actually 15”x7” and there is one at each end/peak of the 6’x6’ enclosed area (I think I’m going to add hardware cloth inside to be more secure). We have two windows on the front with glass and a large (4.5’ x 8” rectangle) opening with a door on the back. Appreciate your thoughts.

Girls are already going to the high ground! They still roost/sleep on the ground but are exploring like crazy!
The mat is a great idea!

Such cute chicks:) I like the coop too.
Do the windows with glass open at all?
The ventilation at the roosts will help in summer, I don't know about winter time, since you will probably keep that cold - I see where the feet would get cold if you didn't.

Birds breath out moisture so that needs to move up and away especially in winter. See how it goes, it may all be fine.

I have shavings on vinyl flooring, it's 'slippery' (for the birds, not me), especially when I totally change out the shavings- then it kind of 'wears in', but there's never really been an injuries because of it.

68A495A0-95D4-4A96-81FF-D307B81DACE2.jpeg
View attachment 1564218 View attachment 1564215 View attachment 1564214 View attachment 1564213 View attachment 1564214 View attachment 1564215

Thanks! They are super cute, I am loving every minute with them!

The glass windows on the front do open halfway, like a normal window. Here is a picture of the front. Yes The one in back will not be open in the winter, definitely too cold for that. Will have to see how it goes with the two peak vents, I suppose. May seem like a silly question, but how do you gauge the moisture in the air?

View attachment 1564247

Thanks! They are super cute, I am loving every minute with them!

The glass windows on the front do open halfway, like a normal window. Here is a picture of the front. Yes The one in back will not be open in the winter, definitely too cold for that. Will have to see how it goes with the two peak vents, I suppose. May seem like a silly question, but how do you gauge the moisture in the air?

I see! Coop is super cute too!
Since you have windows that you can crack open you should be good.

Well, maybe @aart can tell about gauging moisture in the air? I really don't know. I am going to assume if you have frost on your birds in the mornings, that would not be good or if your windows are frosted on the inside same thing - then you want more ventilation up top. I could be totally wrong about that though:D

Back
Top Bottom