Thickness for Pine Shavings - how often to change/clean

Well, maybe @aart can tell about gauging moisture in the air? I really don't know. I am going to assume if you have frost on your birds in the mornings, that would not be good or if your windows are frosted on the inside same thing
Yah, neither of those would be good.

The red circled areas between rafters, on both roof eaves, what do they look like on the outside? It looks like they are closed off(don't see any light coming thru) that's the best place for winter ventilation.
Also, this window should have 1/2" HC on it, maybe it does and it's not showing up in the pic?
upload_2018-10-18_16-17-7.png

66DCB324-335C-4CC1-BF18-9D1BAA83712B.jpeg
I will look to see what is on the other side of that Eave area. What about the ventilation at my peaks? There is one on each end, 15“ x 7“ each. Is that not sufficient?

I am planning on putting better hardware cloth on the big window on the back as well as the peaks.

The peak(gables) are fine, you don't need HC with that louvered vent cover on there, but eave venting would be good too. Whether gables alone are enough remains to be seen.
Eave and gable venting work together, air comes in eaves and exits gables.

Pine shavings are not recommended for chickens, as they contain toxins (chickens will eat anything they can get in their beaks). Shavings from other trees are fine.

I was taught at university that pine is also bad , but that was over 10 years ago. I tend to believe it, since pine tar and other chemicals are extracted from pine (I get a severe headache whenever someone mops with PineSol, so perhaps I'm prejudiced). At the Oregon State University broiler house, they use chopped straw, which is what I also use.

Can you clarify/show us what toxins that pine shavings contain?

Btw - Welcome To BYC:welcome
Can you clarify/show us what toxins that pine shavings contain?

Btw - Welcome To BYC:welcome
I was taught at university that pine is also bad , but that was over 10 years ago. I tend to believe it, since pine tar and other chemicals are extracted from pine (I get a severe headache whenever someone mops with PineSol, so perhaps I'm prejudiced). In class (Poultry Science 101), they didn't specify what the chemicals are so it would require some research to find out. I don't use bedding for my chicks, since they are in a tractor outside, if they're not with their mother. (One end is covered, with a heat lamp.) I use straw in the hen coop.

Back
Top Bottom