Thief Stealing Chickens. Please Help!

Hi There,

First off I should clarify and give a lil’ context. I live in the suburbs with a flock of around 60 (pre thief) ducks and chickens. I don’t think my neighbors like my hobby especially when I used to own guineas. But recently about a week and a half ago we started to notice our a few birds went missing. We scoured our whole yard for feathers, bones, or anything that would give us a clue as to what happened to our birds. A few more nights pass and more birds start to go missing again. No carcasses. Nothing. This is when we start to get suspicious. The thief continued to come and pick and choose which ones to take, likely at night because birds I saw during the day have been stolen. The thief has not stolen a single duck. (probably because they slee on our porch out of site. Which is why I’m certain it is a human, because they would be easier to pick off) I also recently found a dead body of a (Young healthy) serama of mine inside my coop which makes me think they killed it for some reason. I should also mention that at first they have only been stealing my silkies and once all of them had been taken they went on to a few of my seramas.

I know I should obviously do a security camera, but if I do I feel like it’s likely that they’ll just be wearing a hood or something like that and if not I’m not even sure that’ll help. Will the police even care? And the gate closest to my coop is locked I plan on locking the rest of them. But it’s likely they hopped it.

Sorry for the long story, but any help is appreciated.
The police will definitely appreciate a video or pics. I got a trailcam that takes videos that is motion activated and has infrared filming at night, color during the day. I live in a small Village and the chief of police helped me set it up.

It's 50/50 that a thief would or would not be wearing a hood or mask. Especially if they've gotten away with it before.

You could also put noise traps using trip wire with fishing line and noise makers attached such as empty cans and bells. Or a motion activated spotlight. Either or both of which would scare the crap out of your thief.

The police will definitely appreciate a video or pics. I got a trailcam that takes videos that is motion activated and has infrared filming at night, color during the day. I live in a small Village and the chief of police helped me set it up.

It's 50/50 that a thief would or would not be wearing a hood or mask. Especially if they've gotten away with it before.

You could also put noise traps using trip wire with fishing line and noise makers attached such as empty cans and bells. Or a motion activated spotlight. Either or both of which would scare the crap out of your thief.
The noise traps really work! I ran a discrete wire from the top of my coop door to my bedroom years ago when I had a problem with some people who were trespassing on my farm .If anyone opened the coop door the cow bell rang in my bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom