thin eggshells with calcium deposits

MamaNoccy

Chirping
Jan 17, 2020
Australia
One of my girls was laying perfect eggs for about 2 months before her sister hatched some chicks, suddenly they then started having calcium deposits on top and sides. Every now and then they're also extremely thin to the point that i could almost put a finger through just picking it up, but it STILL has calcium deposits on the egg! I offer oyster shell separately to their normal feed so they can pick at it when they need to. Any thoughts on what I should do to help my girl out? All my other hens are laying fine.

Any thoughts on what I should do to help my girl out? All my other hens are laying fine.

I have a steady supply of too much milk. I'd heard that the chickens like it when it's sour. However, I've found that they love it when it curdles into a solid chunk. I leave it out for a few days on the counter before I give it to them and they love it. This would help you. They will eat the solids and drink the whey, so don't strain it out. I hope this helps.

Update: I've tried what you suggested and gave them some curdled milk which the whole flock loved, but unfortunately there's no improvement in her eggs. Today's was actually the worst they've ever been. I'm at a loss of what to do with her.

102823359_255348072236065_7707892167539546277_n.jpg

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Tho is just one bird is laying bad eggs, it's usually the bird and not the diet.

You could try to supplement just her with extra calcium.
@rosemarythyme has a good regime for this issue.

If you know exactly which bird is the problem bird, isolate her for a private breakfast. 2-3x a week serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her a minute to eat and after that she's free to go.

If it works you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results. If you still have the same issue, then her problem is not calcium, but rather some glitch in her system, likely the shell gland.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Tho is just one bird is laying bad eggs, it's usually the bird and not the diet.

You could try to supplement just her with extra calcium.
@rosemarythyme has a good regime for this issue.

They have Vella Poultry Layer Pellets permantently inside their run, but the also free range through my property throughout the day. I've been providing shell grit in a seperate container in the run so they can pick at it as needed, but I'm going to try another brand this week and see if that helps!

If you know exactly which bird is the problem bird, isolate her for a private breakfast. 2-3x a week serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her a minute to eat and after that she's free to go.

If it works you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results. If you still have the same issue, then her problem is not calcium, but rather some glitch in her system, likely the shell gland.

Thank you I will try this on her, luckily I have a small flock for now and so I know exactly which hen it is. I thought it might have been the shell gland but she had been laying perfectly for 2 months, unless its something that's developed if that's possible?

Thank you I will try this on her, luckily I have a small flock for now and so I know exactly which hen it is. I thought it might have been the shell gland but she had been laying perfectly for 2 months, unless its something that's developed if that's possible?

You'll have your answer once you try it. Not to say that something can't suddenly change or throw things off (hormones, stress, since chicks were involved), but hopefully it's as simple as she needs more calcium than the layer feed provides and wasn't eating oyster shell, and now it's caught up to her.

You'll have your answer once you try it. Not to say that something can't suddenly change or throw things off (hormones, stress, since chicks were involved), but hopefully it's as simple as she needs more calcium than the layer feed provides and wasn't eating oyster shell, and now it's caught up to her.

Just wanted to say thank you as this has helped her immensely! I'm alternating between the milk curds and the oyster shell every couple of days and her eggs are back up to where they need to be, which is good because her sister has decided it's time for more babies so she's going to be stressed out again soon!

Back
Top Bottom