Thin hen/not wanting to eat her diet

chickencutie

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Worth
I have a one year old hen who acts like she’s always starving. I’ve ruled out competition for food and she has free feeding access all the time. But she doesn’t seem to go through her grain that quickly and she’s always trying to eat my dove’s seed instead of her own diet. She is a thin bird and has had parasite issues (roundworm and tapeworm). Any ideas what could be making her so hungry all the time/not eating her own grain? I’m not sure if it’s still parasites that are causing this or if it’s something possibly with her metabolism? She’s very high energy but her food intake doesn’t seem to make up for that. I have tried feeding her baby parrot formula to put on weight but that has only worked minimally.

The doves food is actually grains right?

That is like candy to chickens. Tastes great but not good nutrition.

Have you tried wetting her layer pellets to make a mash the consistency of cooked oatmeal?
I would give her that and see if she will eat that.

The other thing that can cause birds to be very thin is internal parasites. The best way to know if that is an issue is to have a vet run a fecal float test. Even gets that don't treat chickens can do it.

Yes the doves get a mostly seed diet and she loves that. I try to prevent her from eating it as best I can. I have tried a mush with her grain but she wasn’t a fan. She has days where she really likes the parrot formula and then days where she doesn’t want to eat it so I’m trying to alternate when I give that to her. The problem is I’ve taken her to the vet for parasites at least three times since I got her and the tapeworms won’t go away. I dont know what else to do about that. The vet has dosed both panacur and ivermectin and neither have worked (although my understanding is that neither are that effective against tapeworm). I think there may have been a reduction in how often she sheds segments but it’s definitely still there.

The great thing about BYC is we have a really great group of people with tons of knowledge.
I will see if casportpony can come and help.

@casportpony I know I call you a lot for this sort of thing but can you lend a hand please.

What wormer did you use and when did you last do it? Not all meds will work with all parasites, maybe you need to try something more broad spectrum?
Also, what breed is she, or what do you guess?

What wormer did you use and when did you last do it? Not all meds will work with all parasites, maybe you need to try something more broad spectrum?
Also, what breed is she, or what do you guess?
She has been on panacur and ivermectin. I don’t think those are supposed to be that effective against tapeworms but it worked on the roundworms. She is a silver spangled Hamburg.

Back
Top Bottom