Thin shells

trista85

Songster
6 Years
Oct 1, 2017
South Royalton, VT
hello everyone! I’m raising a mixed flock, and because I’m also a chicken collector I have young chickens and older hens all together. I did read that trying to keep separate feed for each is crazy so right now everyone is eating the grower crumbles. I have oyster shell out for my girls that are older but I don’t think they’re eating it- or enough anyway. We’ve noticed a definite difference in the shells lately. Is there another approach? I looked at the chicken vitamins while I was at the feed store this morning but after looking at the analysis I wasn’t sure it would be beneficial to shell thickness and I was worried about the little ones since it goes in the water.

Help is much appreciated!

I always feed an All Flock ration or a starter grower with a separate bowl of oyster shells.

Thin shells can be from the heat, or even from a respiratory infection.

Another thing that can cause thin shells in the warmer weather is putting vinegar in their water, so make sure there's always a fresh source available.

I read giving hens a few days of baking soda mixed in their water can help with calcium uptake in warmer weather as panting causes a rise in blood ph which interferes with calcium uptake. Though I haven't personally tried it. A 1/2 cup of baking soda to a gallon of water for a few days, no more than a week is what I read. So far I haven't seen thin shells so I can't try it out.

hello everyone! I’m raising a mixed flock, and because I’m also a chicken collector I have young chickens and older hens all together. I did read that trying to keep separate feed for each is crazy so right now everyone is eating the grower crumbles. I have oyster shell out for my girls that are older but I don’t think they’re eating it- or enough anyway. We’ve noticed a definite difference in the shells lately. Is there another approach? I looked at the chicken vitamins while I was at the feed store this morning but after looking at the analysis I wasn’t sure it would be beneficial to shell thickness and I was worried about the little ones since it goes in the water.

Help is much appreciated!

I always feed an All Flock ration or a starter grower with a separate bowl of oyster shells.

Thin shells can be from the heat, or even from a respiratory infection.

Another thing that can cause thin shells in the warmer weather is putting vinegar in their water, so make sure there's always a fresh source available.

I read giving hens a few days of baking soda mixed in their water can help with calcium uptake in warmer weather as panting causes a rise in blood ph which interferes with calcium uptake. Though I haven't personally tried it. A 1/2 cup of baking soda to a gallon of water for a few days, no more than a week is what I read. So far I haven't seen thin shells so I can't try it out.

I'm in central VT so heat isn't an issue :) I haven't noticed any signs of a respiratory problem with anyone recently, and I'm not an ACV user unless needed. Really the change in feed is the only new thing, that's why I was wondering if there was an alternative way to boost the Vitamin D/calcium intake since the older hens are no longer eating the layer feed.

Is the feed fresh? Do you give them lots of treats. Both of these things can deplete the vitamins and minerals they need to absorb calcium.
Being summer they eat about half the feed compared to winter consumption.
I moved my Oyster Shells container away from the feeder in the coop to the area where they hang out during the day alongside the under coop waterer. 20180408_060418.jpg . Consumption has gone up. I have been feeding a Non-Medicated Start & Grow since Memorial day and my egg shells are strong.
You could also buy small bags of Starter Grower and Layers Crumbles and mix together to get more Calcium in them, but not enough to harm the little ones.
I also save the eggshells. Let them dry for 24 hours and crush with my fingers and put in Oyster shell container. 20180324_134657.jpg . GC

I would not mix layers and starter for them. GC

If that's ok I would be ok doing that later though, once they are a little bigger. I just moved them in with the rest this week, so that's why everyone is on the same feed. They free range during the day so I've decreased the amount of feed I put out anyway, since they don't really eat it because they are out and about. The oyster shell is next to their water, away from the feed. I may try mixing in the egg shells, thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom