Things Mom used to say...(or your Dad)

"Your legs will never be strong enough for you to water ski." Said DAILY by my mom's husband. Oh well, I don't care if I ever water ski or not, my legs are perfectly fine, and one day, my Jesus can show me how to walk on water!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

wee.gif
(Pentacostal Smiley)!

"When I was your age..." (I've said this already and I'm only 36)

"You're bored? Read a book" (Said this one too)

"You are deliberately disobeying me!" (I think I said this once...it annoyed me then and now. Lol)

"For Pete's sake!" (My mom still says this, and we still don't know who Pete is).
idunno.gif

Quote:
I got the "when I was your age" spiel as well.. but it usually went on to include how they had to walk to school barefoot.. in the snow.. uphill both ways... while carrying their lunch of goose grease and sugar on bread in a metal bucket and carrying their books with a strap...

If you hurt yourself "It'll turn into a pig's foot by morning!" (huh?)

If you ask what day it is "Today's the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."

"Surrat" meant good-bye

"Funny as a rubber crutch." If you were doing something they didn't find amusing.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch
This road is crooked as a dog's hind leg ; curvy road
Take care of your critters as you take care of yourself cause in the end they take care of you.
Be nice to people they will be nice to you
You catch more flies with honey than vinegar
Don't step over someone to get to a better place
This thread has made me remember alot of sayings that I thought I had forgotten.

Quote:
It is in the middle of africa

oh that reminds me of one

"you better eat all that food.. there's starving people in Africa"
(now.. just how in the heck is me cleaning my plate going to help people in another country?.. never did figure that one out... lol)

I think one of the worst times I ever got in trouble was when Mom told me that and I answered with something to the effect of, 'If they're starving, send them this - maybe they'll like it." Trust me, not a bright thing to tell a harrassed mom at dinner. lol

Sorry to post again but i remembered some more.
If my grandmother saw someone loafing she would say they were" so lazy they'd have to lay down to take a crap."
My grandfather used to threaten my dad by saying he would beat the####(poop) out if him then beat him for ######+(poopin).
Some other family favs: deader than four oclock, deader than a doornail, dumb as a box if rocks/bag if hammers, lazier than carrion(pronouned qarn here lol), a large table spoon was a jawskinner, and of course if meat was frozen they "UNTHAWED IT" which seems opposite of the desired effect, when you wanted something you would get it the second tuesday of next week, and when you asked my grandparents when you were going to go somewherr they would say "dreckly" which means anywhere from five minutes to five days apparently.

Yah gotta unthaw tha meat ther in the zink afore yah kin set down by the davenport in time fur the boob tube.

Translate...

I am going to the put a package of frozen beef on a plate on the counter then watch television on the sofa. Do you want to watch Hee Haw with me because that is all that is going to be on?

Back
Top Bottom