Things That Chicken Eat That Surprised You

I have 8 chicks right now and for some reason the love to wait for someone to poop then they all leap on it like its a bug. But you can only imagine about 2 seconds into the dive they realize their mistake
ep.gif
but it doesn't stop them from attacking the next turd bug lol.
lau.gif
I can laugh at them for hours! Can't wait for them to get bigger they are so entertaining!

My husband says they are just goats with feathers. actually, the goats are fussier about what they eat. I think I was most surprised to see a chicken kill and eat a toad. I thought they were toxic, but she was fine. I have fed mine raccoon ,(cooked) and squirrel uncooked but guts removed.Great source of protein;-)

Oh my goodness, first time I saw the girls fighting over a limp toad I nearly gagged. But now I'm used to seeing them fight over lizards and snakes. I guess they took care of the toad population already. I saw some of the younger ones excited over something and went over to look and it was a 14 inch long water moccasin!! I mashed it's head with a brick and one of the older girls swallowed it whole
sickbyc.gif
I would not look at her crop, I could just imagine it huge and wiggling still
sickbyc.gif

Mine love the little white down feathers, first time I saw it I thought they would choke. Nope! Not very excited about seeing them eatting a mouse or toad though! They all have full crops yet act like they are starving when new food is introduced! Yesterday, one of my babies found her first worm. The call went out and the chase began, worm swinging from side to side, she made a beautiful hand off to the next chick, it all happened so fast not sure who got the prize, not the worm I'm sure!!!!
gig.gif

Quote:
That's AWESOME. I wish my cats would leave their dead mice for the chickens, instead of leaving them for me in the courtyard. But then, I doubt my chickens would eat them. If they would, they'd be taking care of the occasional mouse I see in the coop. Grr.

Quote:
I witnessed one of my buff orpingtons eat a small frog just the other day - a little bigger than a quarter. Vicious those chooks!
lol.png

Wade

Back
Top Bottom