Things that make you go Hmmm

jenni2142

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
South Carolina
DSCF0689.jpg

This is Madison a bantam Wyandotte we believe. Madison is 11 weeks old. I have been convinced that Madison is a roo, look at that comb and wattles. But Madison is confused, snuggles with the boys, bullies the girls, walks and stands like my hens and has yet to crow. I have been waiting for the crow, even my silkies that are younger have crowed. Well, the other day I heard Madison's first words, yep Madison clucked! What is going on here? Pointy saddle feathers but not hackles. Any ideas? This pose is the most roo Madison has looked and still reminds me more of my Aussies.

Second roo? Senior Clucky was rather hennish untill we rehomed our RIR roo, now that he's alpha male, he started being more and more roo daily. If he's low enough in the pecking order he may be a late bloomer too. (RIR was rehomed at 12 weeks and then senor clucky started looking/acting Rooish.
roll.png

100% roo

At 11 weeks he's going to be like a 6 year old boy who thinks all girls have cooties, at about 16 weeks he will be that early teen who doesn't quite get it, at 20 weeks he will be that older teen getting into trouble chasing the girls and pulling out feathers in attempts to get them. He'll probably not treat the ladies like ladies till he's a man in chicken years of anywhere between 6months to a year.

The other 2 roos in with Madison are about the same age both crowing, doing the rooster dance, yummy song and yesterday started grabbing necks and trying to "Love" on a few of the girls. it was the clucking and squawking that threw me as well as the comb and wattles at times losing almost all of their color, none of my other roos ever did any of that but this is my first time with more than one young one at a time. I have been telling hubby Madison is a boy but the behavior just doesn't seem to fit right now. I guess I will just enjoy the lack of crowing for now.

Back
Top Bottom