Things that make you go Hmmm

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenni2142, Jun 8, 2009.

1. jenni2142

jenni2142 Songster

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

This is Madison a bantam Wyandotte we believe. Madison is 11 weeks old. I have been convinced that Madison is a roo, look at that comb and wattles. But Madison is confused, snuggles with the boys, bullies the girls, walks and stands like my hens and has yet to crow. I have been waiting for the crow, even my silkies that are younger have crowed. Well, the other day I heard Madison's first words, yep Madison clucked! What is going on here? Pointy saddle feathers but not hackles. Any ideas? This pose is the most roo Madison has looked and still reminds me more of my Aussies.

2. ggrap

ggrap Songster

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    boy for sure

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I say Roo...perhaps he is just temporarily gender confused [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

ROOOOOster

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    maybe you have a gay rooster no offence

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    hermaphrodite??

7. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Songster

Late Bloomeroo?

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Second roo? Senior Clucky was rather hennish untill we rehomed our RIR roo, now that he's alpha male, he started being more and more roo daily. If he's low enough in the pecking order he may be a late bloomer too. (RIR was rehomed at 12 weeks and then senor clucky started looking/acting Rooish. [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

100% roo

At 11 weeks he's going to be like a 6 year old boy who thinks all girls have cooties, at about 16 weeks he will be that early teen who doesn't quite get it, at 20 weeks he will be that older teen getting into trouble chasing the girls and pulling out feathers in attempts to get them. He'll probably not treat the ladies like ladies till he's a man in chicken years of anywhere between 6months to a year.

10. jenni2142

jenni2142 Songster

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    The other 2 roos in with Madison are about the same age both crowing, doing the rooster dance, yummy song and yesterday started grabbing necks and trying to "Love" on a few of the girls. it was the clucking and squawking that threw me as well as the comb and wattles at times losing almost all of their color, none of my other roos ever did any of that but this is my first time with more than one young one at a time. I have been telling hubby Madison is a boy but the behavior just doesn't seem to fit right now. I guess I will just enjoy the lack of crowing for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: