Things you wish you could say

The more I deal with the children at the school I work at, the sadder I become about the future. Most of the kindergarteners don't even know their name yet. Seriously. And it's not the schools fault, they should know their name by age five or six. I blame the parents. Most are so busy on their phone or doing what they want that they ignore their kids. And the older kids are so very rude. They talk back, have no manners. No please or thank you. Roll their eyes when you ask them to do something. My son does not act like that, he would get his butt beat. Yes, spankings happen at my house if they are needed. I haven't had to spank my son in almost five years, he is well behaved. The future is looking bleak indeed

The more I deal with the children at the school I work at, the sadder I become about the future. Most of the kindergarteners don't even know their name yet. Seriously. And it's not the schools fault, they should know their name by age five or six. I blame the parents. Most are so busy on their phone or doing what they want that they ignore their kids. And the older kids are so very rude. They talk back, have no manners. No please or thank you. Roll their eyes when you ask them to do something. My son does not act like that, he would get his butt beat. Yes, spankings happen at my house if they are needed. I haven't had to spank my son in almost five years, he is well behaved. The future is looking bleak indeed
We had a teacher retire two years ago because some 8th grade boys pushed her down. Nearly highschool aged boys pushed her down. I was absolutely livid when I heard that, this teacher was one of the nicest ones we had at my school

We had a teacher retire two years ago because some 8th grade boys pushed her down. Nearly highschool aged boys pushed her down. I was absolutely livid when I heard that, this teacher was one of the nicest ones we had at my school

I would lose my job and be in jail because I don't have the patience for that and would have retaliated. Good thing I'm just a lunch lady!

I would lose my job and be in jail because I don't have the patience for that and would have retaliated. Good thing I'm just a lunch lady!
She already was a rather frailer woman, could have easily retired before the incident. Sucks too, because she would have been just the teacher my brother needed that next year

My DD thinks I should be teaching history. I don't think I would make it into college today much less to teach what they would want me to. "Too Awake to be Woke".

Good thing I'm just a lunch lady!
Please don't think of yourself as "just" a lunch lady. You are an important person in the school organization. I worked in elementary schools for over 20 years and would never accept 'you're just the librarian' from staff, students or parents.

While I certainly encountered bad behaviour from students, I had staff support to deal with in as I saw fit. Spending recess stamping date due slips wears pretty thin very quickly. Instead I focus on remembering the wonderful students I encountered over the years, and they are the majority. With them, our future is in good hands.

I do believe there is a societal problem when children don't learn how to deal with failure, and believe the world revolves around them.

One of my favourite stories comes from a kindergarten teacher. At an intake interview, the parents were explaining to the teacher how their precious child had never been told no. The teacher responded that their child was about to learn the meaning pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom