Things you wish you could say

I have a backwards problem: lots of words I can read and spell, but I rarely hear people say them. So when someone does say a word and it sounds "wrong" to me, I have to pull out the dictionary and check the pronunciation (Sometimes both pronunciations are equally valid, sometimes one or the other is right, and I've found a few times when myself and someone else were both wrong but in different ways.)
I have this same problem, since I was a bookworm for a long time (still am) and didn't talk much to people. I will never forget the embarassment I felt at saying the word façade wrong and being corrected in a rude way, even though I was a child when it happened. So grateful for this modern world with youtube pronunciation guides.

Screenshot-2023-03-31-at-8.11.51-AM.png

Luxurious life...hot water, comfortable bed & toilets! 😆
I get it. I lived in a cabin in MT for a year with an outhouse out back. Showers were taken at a neighbor's, every other day (they owned a sauna house), heat and cooking was a wood stove, running water was the creek in front of the house, and drinking water came from the dairy next door and was stored in a stainless steel milk can. It was a great life for a young married couple in their twenties, until I got pregnant - and too sick to function, lol! Then back to civilization.

Luxurious life...hot water, comfortable bed & toilets! 😆
I went on a week-long canoe trip once (as I'm sure many of you have also done, or something similar) - seven days, always wet, with four pre-teens having the time of their lives. We slept on the ground in a sleeping bag, cooked over a fire, used the bathroom behind or over whatever fallen tree we could find, bathed in the icy-cold river, and in general tried to stay upright and not lose our gear or food. We were sunburned, chafed and bug-bitten, but happy. About Day 5 we happened upon a riverside campground and canoe rental. With real flushing TOILETS!!! And HOT showers!!! And a LAUNDRY!!! It was absolutely Heaven for a few hours.

Our last night on the river was on a sandbar - at least the ground was soft for a change. We had eaten the last of our cheese, crackers, sardines and apples. Next day, just 1/4-mile from the takeout (ending point) - I could see it around a bend :( - one of the kids was trying to smack the water with a paddle to scare the turtles off a log, and instead whacked the skull of another kid. Blood and general chaos ensued. But it was fine, slapped a towel on her head and paddled for shore, then hospital and stitches.

Ahhh.... fun times.

I went on a week-long canoe trip once (as I'm sure many of you have also done, or something similar) - seven days, always wet, with four pre-teens having the time of their lives. We slept on the ground in a sleeping bag, cooked over a fire, used the bathroom behind or over whatever fallen tree we could find, bathed in the icy-cold river, and in general tried to stay upright and not lose our gear or food. We were sunburned, chafed and bug-bitten, but happy. About Day 5 we happened upon a riverside campground and canoe rental. With real flushing TOILETS!!! And HOT showers!!! And a LAUNDRY!!! It was absolutely Heaven for a few hours.

Our last night on the river was on a sandbar - at least the ground was soft for a change. We had eaten the last of our cheese, crackers, sardines and apples. Next day, just 1/4-mile from the takeout (ending point) - I could see it around a bend :( - one of the kids was trying to smack the water with a paddle to scare the turtles off a log, and instead whacked the skull of another kid. Blood and general chaos ensued. But it was fine, slapped a towel on her head and paddled for shore, then hospital and stitches.

Ahhh.... fun times.
Sounds great. Good thing the head smack occurred near the end of the trip instead of at the beginning, eh? Perfect timing. A trip they'll never forget.

Back
Top Bottom