Things you wish you could say

Oh! Only the shells! I honestly thought that you were revealing an amazing piece of information in that shrimp (the meaty bit) was a good source of calcium! 🤣🤦🏻‍♀️ I guess I Barbie'd again. 😅

Not all shells are the same.

We are used to thinking of oyster shells as a good calcium source for chickens. But not all shells are the same as oyster shells.

Shrimp shells have a fair bit of protein (at least as compared with oyster shells.) They have about as much protein as they do calcium (I find numbers that are slightly variable, but they are definitely not just calcium.)

I think bones are closer to oyster shells in what they contain, and crab shells may be more like shrimp shells.

For the various shells I have looked up, all of them can be a reasonable source of calcium, but the chickens might have to eat more of some kinds than others to get enough calcium, and some of the shells (like shrimp) can include enough protein that it might make a difference in the diet. The calcium content is high enough that shrimp shells could never be the only protein in a chicken's diet, but it can certainly add a little bit.

Even if mine liked shrimp, I wouldn’t pay that price to feed it to them 🤣
I second that. Any shrimp are for ME. But since I don't want to eat the shells, I have no problem giving them to chickens :lol:

Back
Top Bottom