Thinking about getting a few Chickens...need advice

Chickens eat bugs, they will chase and catch flying bugs, so if you get chickens they will take care of the fly problem.
Sorry, just had to enable a little.
Get the chickens, you will love them and so will your DH.

Could you maybe fence off the patio?
idunno.gif

No offense taken at all. I guess I am just disappointed...I got all excited about a great new adventure into the land of pet chickens and fresh eggs and I feel like maybe my enthusiasm has superseded common sense? Maybe there is a reason more people don't have chickens in their backyards. I think it would be wonderful... but I tend to go against the grain a bit

Not making it better am I? This just seems like a good place to flush out concerns.

Yes, it is the PERFECT place to vent your concerns and ensure that you will, one day, be a certified chicken addict!!!!!! LOL

Really, once you get them you will wonder how you got by without them! The coop with attached run is a perfect way to balance having chickens and maintaining YOUR space, too. And they willl be perfectly happy.

Honestly, I think the reason more people haven't had backyard chickens is because everything got so commercialized that most people forgot you COULD grow your own eggs. However, it is quickly coming back and people everywhere are jumping on board. I like to think it is a permanent trend!!!

Good luck with making your decision and of course, you need to post pics when you get them!!!!! LOL
yippiechickie.gif

The great thing about having chickens is that anyone with a little bit of space can have them. If you are ok with poop in not-so-cool places they can free-range your yard - if you want chickens and don't want to have to worry about chicken poo in the treads of your shoes or poo on your new patio furniture you can confine them to a nice appropriately sized run and they will be happy. Mine are confined to a run because 1)I don't have a fenced yard and I have close neighbors and 2) I don't really want chicken poo everywhere(the dog is bad enough). They are perfectly content there.
Keep DH on board and put them in a run. You will love having them.

I think the last post is excellent advice, not everyone wants the chickens under foot. Or a foot in chicken poo. :eek:

Thank you all for the great and supportive responses!

My 14 yr old has a friend near by who has a few chickens. We are going to visit them to check out their coop and get some insight as to life with chickens.

I especially appreciate the honest advice that it is ok to keep them in a run, even though I do have a safe place for them to roam. Just knowing that it is ok to let them roam on my terms rather than all day every day really helps!

I hope to be on here soon posting pics of our own little cuties ....we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom