Thinking about getting ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Whitewinterwolf, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    We have a stream that runs threw our front yard, so we have been discussing and thinking about possibly getting ducks.
    They would be free ranged with a duck house/hut to go in at night, but apart from knowing that they need food and shelter, are talkative, and can be messy, we know nothing about them.
    So does anyone have any story's or thoughts on ducks?
    Feel free to share, and if necessary feel free to crush our idea of getting ducks. I wont take it to heart haha.
    Thanks!

2. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    No way no crushing dreams here. Get them even if the stream dries up you can get a little pool for them.

You seem to know the basics and the only other thing is they tend to get pissy during breeding season so the drakes might get mean. But they snap out of it.

I have my first eggs hatching right now. I can't wait for my messy smelly babies [​IMG]

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    The babies are very smelly and messy (much more so than chickens) but oh so worth it if you ask me. don't forget until they are full gron you wont be free ranging them. Niacin is a big part of their diet, clean water to drink is a must, and if in a hot climate shade during the day.

4. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    The mess as ducklings is a pain in the butt but that hasn't stopped me from getting them haha, if the messy broody phase turns you off maybe get adult ducks. But get them, they will make you so happy I could sit and watch mine all day... [​IMG]

5. I am a first time 'ducker' too. Only have raised peeps. GET THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! storm right in there and buy some. You will NOT be disappointed. They are yes a lot messier and smellier than our chicks. they are always making a mess of their food, water and living quarters. they grow 3 times as fast as our chicks, so you better be prepared. my ducklings are a little over 2 weeks and are 5 times the size of my Cochin chicks. They eat a ton, crap a ton.... but...... they are so affectionate, so loving, so comical. The way they turn their head twords you and look at you it's almost like they understand you. It is totally different from my chickens (that i LOVE to death), but its a different in a good way.

They are a lot more maintenance, but in the long run, like everyone has said, they will be worth it I think.

I know I definitley have new respect for duck raisers/owners (and I only have 3 Pekins...)

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yup, way bigger difference than chickens! I have two ducklings now, more coming. The first one is zooming around high speed, always looking for me, being so cute! And chewing on me already, and it's only 48 hours old! Chickens don't play really, ducks do. SO CUTE!! Completely different sort of bird, and the mess is worth it.

7. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Wow, talk about a lot of positive feed back!
    This sounds so exciting and great!
    Does anyone have any suggestions on breeds?

8. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I love my ducks to no end! My chickens have fallen in my esteem since my ducklings arrived...They are worth every bit off mess and make up for it by eating our hordes of snails and slugs...I don't think I can ever live without ducks again.... [​IMG]

9. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:We have a call drake who thinks he is a lap duck. 3 baby Rouens who are always under foot lol and now 3 baby geese too. Oh and a Mandarin who is great to look at but not a hands on pet.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    What is your main "want". Eggs? Meat? Just eye candy?

I raise Welsh Harlequins. They are pretty friendly and lay a ton of eggs. Of the egg production breeds (khaki's, runners), the Harlequins are the most friendly and least skittish in my experience.

I have had other breeds, but the Welsh Harlequins are my favs with the exception of buffs. The only problem with buffs is they are WICKED LOUD! They have a very bold personality and are very curious and friendly.

If you want a super friendly duck, Pekins are a good bet, but like buffs they can be loud.

If you want a unique bird, what about dutch hookbills? Or maybe an Appleyard? Appleyards are big ducks but they are so pretty.

Then there are muscovies. They are very quiet, look very interesting, are friendly (they wag their butts like dogs when they are happy), and a good foragers and good moms. The only drawback is they can fly AND they have HUGE claws. The claws scare me! LOL

There are so many breeds of ducks and each have their good points and bad points. If you give us more of an idea of what you want and expect form your future flock, we can narrow down the recommendations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by