Thinking about getting Quail, I have questions

kathydoolittle

Songster
10 Years
Dec 14, 2009
Pittsburg KS
We are thinking about getting Quail. But I have Questions. I have been researching for some time and just getting confused. Fist is a 24 inch long 10 inch wide and 10 inch tall big enough of 3 quail? Do quail need nesting boxes? Is 24 inch long 18 inch wide and 10 inch high big enough for 25 quail. I plan on making 3 or 4 different small ones for the breeders. And the same number of the bigger ones of they babies. So I can keep different blood lines separated and keep the blood lines strong. Will this work? Please help me

what kind ? THAT is a small space .i can't think of anything that would fit in there but Buttons and NO 25 of ANY species of quail would fit in that space. sorry, don't mean to disappoint but...uh... nope.
hu.gif

(sorry ,our posts crossed ...)

Coturnix need 1 square foot per bird. that means 3 birds would require an area of 3ft. X 1 ft. or the equivalent of anyway. 25 birds would need 25 sq.ft. of space .
Coturnix should be grouped up with 1 male to 3-7 females ( # of females varies with who is posting info on here so...3-7 girls) You don't want to make the breeding cages to small

Last edited:
So my Breeding pens should be 3ft x 1ft and 10 inches high? Do I need nesting box? And the other pens should be 25ftx 1 ft and 10 inches high. I shouyld put 3 females per male instead of 2. If so I should add a foot in length correct?

Also, remember that the numbers people are giving you is a MINIMUM. More is better. Trust me, they really LOVE more space. First, I'll say I have not had quail nearly as long as a lot of folks on here, nor do I have as many. However, mine clearly appreciate having more space to roam.

I do spoil my critters.
wink.png
My quail have 4 square foot each. I would be okay giving them a bit less but wouldn't want to go less than 2 square foot each. However, my birds will have a full natural lifespan--they are for eggs & pets.

Back
Top Bottom