Thinking about getting some geese... advice?

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
Hi there,
We're thinking about getting a few geese this year. They seem to have some cool 'features' about them, like guarding our flock of chickens, and mainly, keeping the weeds down. I've got a couple questions though.

First off, how many geese would be good for us? We have a 2 acre property and there's always lots of weeds every year for them to eat. They'd probably live with the chickens at night, and we plan to do some supplemental feeding but not have that be their whole diet.

What kind of geese would be best for our needs? I'm thinking Chinese because of their weeding ability? Also, I don't mind goose eggs either :) and they seem to be relatively good at that.

Best place to get goslings? Craigslist or hatchery? If it's a hatchery, can you point me to one that doesn't have to large of a minimum?

Will the geese fly away? I'd rather not have to clip their wings, so I need to know if they're going to just up and go to migrate (or whatever, run away like peacocks sometimes do).

Thanks! I'll probably have more questions the more I think about it, these are just to start with though.

Hatchery would be the best probably. I don't know of a good one though. I think you'll love them, they sound great for you!

Are you wanting them to breed? Because if you're not interested in doing that is just get females. I had males and they are really mean fyi. I got my American Buff Geese from Metzer farms they ship 2 or more geese.

The males i had were Chinese geese. Geese can hurt you really bad. :( My Buff American geese are really sweet i ordered 2 more to come the end of March.

Are you wanting them to breed? Because if you're not interested in doing that is just get females. I had males and they are really mean fyi. I got my American Buff Geese from Metzer farms they ship 2 or more geese.
Not on purpose, no, but I wasn't opposed to some goslings as they come. Are males as aggressive as roosters? What is Metzer farms shipping like?

I've got a pair of African geese, raised from goslings, bought them from Rural Supply. They are amazing and have never had any interest in leaving. Dont think any animal will leave a happy environment. They honk very loud and get along well with ducks and chickens.

Back
Top Bottom