thinking about getting started in Colorado - would need to move in 9m

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by durangochic, Aug 20, 2010.

1. durangochic

durangochic New Egg

Aug 20, 2010
    Hi-

My family is thinking of getting a few hens to lay eggs/all the necessary accoutrements. We live in Durango, CO. I envision potentially doing this on an adjacent 1/2 acre undeveloped lot next door to mine. Any comments/suggestions would be great. Am I crazy to think I could do this and then move in 9 months (taking the chickens with, ofcourse)?

Lauren

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If it's going to be a long distance move I'd wait until you've moved to get them.

3. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Oh, gosh. I think of moving eventually, in a few years, and the thought of moving the chickens gives me an anxiety attack! I'd wait. If the times comes when we do move several states away I really don't think I'd move the girls. There are too many folks that would be happy to have a few happy healthy laying hens so re-homing them wouldn't be too much of a problem.

4. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    Hi neighbor! I'm in Durango also. I'd wait to get your chickens, but if it's fresh eggs you want, I'm sure I can find some extras for you. I have 13 laying hens that are giving me between 5 and 6 dozen a week, and have 25 girls that have just started laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by