Thinking of adding 2 Guineas???

fuzzy8

Chirping
Mar 18, 2016
Escanaba, Mi
So I'm getting 4 ducks and 3 chickens may 18th. A friend of mine is trying to talk me into 3 Guinea hens. My run is going to be 20x20 completely fenced in. My coop is 6x7 x 6 heigh. I have a perch in it for the chickens. And 2 12x12 roost boxes on the wall. Will the work for Guinea hens? Do I have enough room? What to expect or know. I'm new to this

So I'm getting 4 ducks and 3 chickens may 18th. A friend of mine is trying to talk me into 3 Guinea hens. My run is going to be 20x20 completely fenced in. My coop is 6x7 x 6 height. I have a perch in it for the chickens. And 2 12x12 roost boxes on the wall. Will the work for Guinea hens? Do I have enough room? What to expect or know. I'm new to this

Guineas are a flock bird and have a different behavior than any other poultry. I recommend a minimum of 10 guineas to keep the guineas happy. I would not recommend any guineas in your situation. If you are serious about having guineas, I recommend that you read the Raising Guinea Fowl 101 thread. Pay particular attention to posts mad by @PeepsCA

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/312682/raising-guinea-fowl-101

Good luck.

I wouldn't pass. They are cute and great. I would just research them, the keets are doing well with are little baby pheasants. If you start them off as keets or eggs they'll be more friendly to your ducks and chickens. I've heard that you can raise the keets from a chicken to help with the behavior.
1f423.png
1f424.png
1f425.png
1f426.png
1f414.png
1f413.png

So if I ordered 1 or 2 As baby's and raised them with my ducks and chickens that would be a few weeks older you think they would do well?

Probably I'm raising 4 of them with 2 pheasants. They were expensive though. Mine get along perfect with them so far

It is normal for keets to get along fine with other poultry such as chicks and poults. Ducklings and other waterfowl can be a problem for the keets because the keets need to be kept dry.

The first breeding season is when all the problems develop. The guineas have a completely different set of mannerisms than do any other type of poultry and it shows up with a vengeance during breeding season.

Most people raise them and if they dont like them they just sell them or eat them. Ask the feed store about them and see what their opinion is then decide. They are great little guys.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom