Thinking of adding a couple turkey's

I strongly recommend that you separate your tom from your chickens. Eventually he will start killing them when he tries to breed them.
Thank you, we will have to figure something out for him, I've worried about that. He was severely wounded in a dog attack a few months ago and I really didn't think he was going to pull through. We put him with with chickens for the company but you're right I need to move him out before something happens.

I honestly think my threshold would be 4: 3 female and one male. I don't want a large operation of turkeys. I just like turkeys lol. If I can fina a smaller scale way to do.it without overcrowding and making problems I will. But I already live on a small property with 3 dogs and soon to be two children. I can't dedicate my entire property to poultry.
I understand wanting to own turkeys and raise them for meat but if space is an issue, they honestly don't sound like the best match for your property. I'm not sure how much experience you have with them but it's important to think realistically about how big turkeys are. They take up much more room than chickens and they need to be able to move around. Turkey fights are no joke. Plus if you plan on letting them raise poults you're going to need even more space.

I understand wanting to own turkeys and raise them for meat but if space is an issue, they honestly don't sound like the best match for your property. I'm not sure how much experience you have with them but it's important to think realistically about how big turkeys are. They take up much more room than chickens and they need to be able to move around. Turkey fights are no joke. Plus if you plan on letting them raise poults you're going to need even more space.
Simply put. I'm looking for building blocks for a few trukeys...not talking a huge flock. Someone before stated they have a 5k sqft run for like 30 birds in theirs thats insane. I own 1/3 acre and want a few for my small family and myself. I am somewhat and reasonably flexible depending on demand but I need to see what kind of demand that is going to require. Most people on here seemingly have spent more money on chicken houses than their own. Which is insane to me. I don't need a sitting/reading nook area in my coop. All that'll do is gather bacteria and poop. Along with the thousands spent in decor for their coops. They're farm animals. I will give the lm the best life possible at a reasonable standpoint. But giving 3 or 4 turkeys 5k sqft is just off the charts and people lost their heads. Most times I wonder why I even ask the community because like most other times I get bashed because u live on a small plot and doing live out in the flatlands of Kansas as far as the eye can see or have hundreds of passed down acreage to me from 4 generations ago. What I want to do is reasonable and I get nothing but smart ass sparky remarks.

There's other times where people say there's no set rule and I'm well aware there is but I'm trying to at least set a standard for myself with what usable space I have available and every time someone says, "oh no that's not enough space thats production space." Which is wrong. My 20 chickens are healthy and happy as clams with their over 500 sqft of roam space and 2sqft per bird coop space(tight on purpose because of cold northern winters) it worked so nothing from the peanuts on that either. I simply asked what would be a good turkey number for a at home hobbyist without being over my head with meat/eggs the works and a good breed that could self sustain. So I don't have to continually go back to a hatchery for more birds(hence why I don't want broad breasted).

I posted looming for answers and yet again got nothing but criticism. Sorry I don't live on 5+ acres like everyone else seemingly does on this page!

Someone before stated they have a 5k sqft run for like 30 birds in theirs thats insane.
You need to read closer. My run is 5,000 sq. ft. for 20 chickens and 6 adult turkeys. Turkeys need a lot more space than chickens do. My turkeys also get to free range on 2 acres during the day.

If you only have 1/3 acre and already have 20 chickens, I do not recommend that you add turkeys in this small of an area.

Most times I wonder why I even ask the community because like most other times I get bashed because u live on a small plot and doing live out in the flatlands of Kansas as far as the eye can see or have hundreds of passed down acreage to me from 4 generations ago. What I want to do is reasonable and I get nothing but smart ass sparky remarks.
I have not seen anyone give you anything but good advice. I understand that you don't realize that turkeys need much more room than chickens do.

The recommended coop size for turkeys is to provide a minimum of 10 sq. ft. of clear floor space per adult turkey. One member recommends an additional 100 sq. ft. of run space per each adult bird.

We currently have 20 chickens with a 6x8 main coop
You do not have any spare room in your coop for any turkeys since your chickens are already in cramped quarters.

My first thought that came to mind was can they roost in the same house and what size door opening do they need? I believe my current door is 12x12. I've heard of turkeys and chicken living together just fine in many occasions but my neighbor suggested to keep them separate. Anyone give me any input on all this?
I believe these are the questions you asked. And only seen OP answering them, Some with facts and others with there experience. Sorry the facts and experiences do not agree with what you want to do.
I simply asked what would be a good turkey number for a at home hobbyist without being over my head with meat/eggs the works and a good breed that could self sustain.

We currently have 20 chickens with a 6x8 main coop,

I own 1/3 acre
2sqft per bird coop space(tight on purpose because of cold northern winters) it worked so nothing from the peanuts on that either
I honestly think my threshold would be 4: 3 female and one male. I don't want a large operation of turkeys. I just like turkeys lol. If I can fina a smaller scale way to do.it without overcrowding and making problems I will. But I already live on a small property with 3 dogs and soon to be two children. I can't dedicate my entire property to poultry.
You yourself say things are already tight. Sounds like your going to do it whether overcrowding or making problems by your words. Its not always about what we want sometimes you need to consider the needs of what we raise.
Someone before stated they have a 5k sqft run for like 30 birds in theirs thats insane.
Simply put. I'm looking for building blocks for a few trukeys...not talking a huge flock. Someone before stated they have a 5k sqft run for like 30 birds in theirs thats insane. I own 1/3 acre and want a few for my small family and myself. I am somewhat and reasonably flexible depending on demand but I need to see what kind of demand that is going to require. Most people on here seemingly have spent more money on chicken houses than their own. Which is insane to me. I don't need a sitting/reading nook area in my coop. All that'll do is gather bacteria and poop. Along with the thousands spent in decor for their coops. They're farm animals. I will give the lm the best life possible at a reasonable standpoint. But giving 3 or 4 turkeys 5k sqft is just off the charts and people lost their heads. Most times I wonder why I even ask the community because like most other times I get bashed because u live on a small plot and doing live out in the flatlands of Kansas as far as the eye can see or have hundreds of passed down acreage to me from 4 generations ago. What I want to do is reasonable and I get nothing but smart ass sparky remarks.
These are the only in your words (smart ass sparky remarks) that I read in thread. Hopefully you and your poultry live long and happy lives. Good Luck

The responses your getting is a normal thing if you try to follow your own path with turkeys. I understand how you fill. I got the same treatment many times over. I have 6 turkeys 15 chickens and 10 ducks.
Turkeys do get tall and wide. My turkeys are 5 months and still can fit through the chicken coop door but not for much longer. The turkeys do have there own place a dog kneel but everyone hangouts out in the same place through the day.

There's other times where people say there's no set rule and I'm well aware there is but I'm trying to at least set a standard for myself with what usable space I have available and every time someone says, "oh no that's not enough space thats production space." Which is wrong. My 20 chickens are healthy and happy as clams with their over 500 sqft of roam space and 2sqft per bird coop space(tight on purpose because of cold northern winters) it worked so nothing from the peanuts on that either. I simply asked what would be a good turkey number for a at home hobbyist without being over my head with meat/eggs the works and a good breed that could self sustain. So I don't have to continually go back to a hatchery for more birds(hence why I don't want broad breasted).

I posted looming for answers and yet again got nothing but criticism. Sorry I don't live on 5+ acres like everyone else seemingly does on this page!
1 tom 4 hens is recommended but that doesn't always work out. I have 2 toms and 4 hens. 😁
My chicken coop door fits 2 chickens through it at a time. You will need to go wider and taller for the turkeys. I'm not sure by how much sorry. I'm not home to measure my Heritage Bronze.

I'm not sure what you think is a smart a** remark. I'm just answering honestly based on the information you provided and my experience raising turkeys. People are suggesting these things to you for the health of your turkeys.
Sure you can follow your own path to a certain extent but proper animal husbandry is considering all aspects of the animals physical and mental health and what is best for them not for us.

Back
Top Bottom