Thinking of Geese....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by obsessed, Feb 14, 2009.

1. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    So I currently raise meat rabbits. I also have 25 broilers in progress. I also have 10 ducks coming three of which will be meat ducks. But I was thinking of geese. Maybe for my next project like after the broilers and pekins are gone. What do you guys think?

I live in suburbia so I would need them to be gone as soon as possible. But the price of a goose chick is expensive. Is it worth it? or is it only worth it if you have a breeding pair and hatch out eggs? And at what age can they be processed. Ok. Thanks

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Geese are like heritage turkeys in a way. They take a good 5-8 months to fill out. So your going to have them around for a while and in your situation they are going to be noisy.... so be prepared. Not bad, but enough to raise some red flags to your neigbors. I would talk to them first and see what they say, maybe give them some eggs?

Definately worth the price to buy them from your local hatchery. You only get like 40 eggs a year out of a good hen, so in my opinion not worth getting a breeding pair. The reason why they are so expensive is becuase they only lay a certain amount of eggs every year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by