Thinking of getting a rooster....?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by megathechicken, Jul 27, 2010.

1. megathechicken

megathechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm thinking of getting a rooster. But I don't know how to take care of him, and how would I calm him and make him quiet? And what would I feed him? The feed store is a ways away, and we half to save up for moving!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you want to "make him quiet", don't get a rooster. They can and will crow anytime they feel the urge. (not just in the morning)

Mine eats what the hens eat, which is Flockraiser. I understand that layer feed is not good for roosters.

Other things to consider to keep him "in line" (this is my approach to my rooster, some people may not do it this way): I am top rooster, therefore, my rooster is not allowed to mate in front of me. It only took him being knocked off a hen twice before he got the picture. He tried it again yesterday, but got off her when he saw me coming. [​IMG] I also do not yield to my rooster. This means when I'm walking, I walk through him and he yields to me by getting out of my way. My rooster does not get to eat until the hens do. (treats) He does this automatically on his own, he's a good boy. With him, I do not have to worry about turning my back.

Sometimes, no matter what you do, you'll just get a meany. They just get a one way ticket to the soup pot.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Pick your breed if you want a rooster who is placid. My Brahma boys are gentle, don't fight, but DO have crowing contests.....all roosters crow.....mine start at about 3:00a.m.

I have never needed to assert my dominance in front of my boys due to their placid nature and acceptance of humans as boss. Alpha male (A VERY heavy and thick set Dark Brahma) just makes his calling noise when I put out the food and the hens and chicks feed first. Chicks are safe around these boys.

I feed all my birds the same foods, there's corn, chick crumb (for the little ones theoretically),grit, shell,cereal grain etc. and they free range over a large area.

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by