Thinking of getting into quails any tips?

Pics
I've read through your post and love what you're doing so far. Can we get an update on your flock?
Update I no longer have quail. the reason being two things (mostly one major issue though) 1: around July/Aug of 2022 the price of quail feed (chicks and breeders/layers) cost almost tripled and I ended up using chickens growers/layers to feed them. 2: around this same time some new people took over our local fish and chip shop and we went from having the odd rat to having loads more (main issue)

I had all my older quail set up in a aviary style setting and it was going well until the chip shop came under new management with in around 3 and a half months all but maybe 10-15 were wiped out from rats managing to get into their aviary pen, those 10-15 were the ones being picked on by other hens or over bred by the roos and they were moved to a safe pen up near the house.

So with the rat issue which I am still dealing with and I have had to explain to neighbours its not my chickens and quail feed drawing them but the chip shop a few houses up that is not following proper waste disposal that is attracting them, I did ask them if this was only a recent issue i.e more then the odd rat they said yes and I asked when they noticed it was now a issue which I pointed out that their time frame was around when the new people took on the chip shop. I have had to contact the local authorities on this issue and explained how this is effecting my animals, me and my neighbours and I am unsure if these people are taking it serious and I am getting pretty bent about it as nothing seems to be getting done!

As for the food I would much prefer to feed them the necessary breed/species correct feed however this was not a feed issue and why I no longer am doing quail.

In fact I might stop rearing chickens as well as there might be a move in the future for me back to the USA!

Back
Top Bottom