1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking of Grandpa Feeder…help with chicken weights

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mfh, Mar 14, 2015.

1. mfh

mfh New Egg

Oct 23, 2011
    We are new to the group…with 24 straight run growing under our eye, we are hoping we will end up with 6-12 hens going into the fall. Time will tell what we have!

We are outfitting the coop. We are most interested in keeping things simple, and building the coop and run large enough to accommodate a flexible flock size up to 24. No current intention to end up with that many..but I can appreciate the flock gain trend.

We are sold on getting a Grandpa's Feeder.

I note "A standard feeder requires 500gms/14oz and a large feeder requires 900gms/2lb."

We are leaning toward the large feeder which will give us even more time between fill ups. That will allow us to travel and have the folks watching the birds do less work…I will have automatic watering nipples so egg collection and coop triage is al they should "have to do" while we are gone.

Anyways - at what age will the chickens be around 2 pounds and able to open the large feeder?

We anticipating getting new chicks annually (taking some birds to the table) and dont want a feeder that would limit their intigration into the flock if it takes too long to reach two pounds...

So give out planned potential flock size, and the desire to not buy two feeders should we stick with the standard and fill more often (but get them to the feeder earlier) or go with the large?

I also plan to have a PVC feeder available in the coop…but outside I think the grandpa feeder will be perfect.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    MFH

2. chicks2love

chicks2love Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Franklin County, NC
    I purchased a Grandpa's Feeder for my chickens and love it! I got the large feeder and am glad I did because I don't have to fill it so often. Mine is under a covered run, but could be used outside. I believe the website says it will hold 40 lbs of feed. GREAT feeder!

3. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    here's a suggestion:
    Get the larger feeder and rig up some kind of weights that you attach to the treadle so the birds don't have to weigh as much, then as they grow you can remove the weights and put them away until next year when you have some young ones again then just reattach it till they are big enough.

You could use two weights, put one on each side of the treadle to keep it balanced and keep the weights out of the hens way. I'm thinking something like a stack of fender washers bolted down on the treadle.

gotta say, I was quite surprised at the price of that feeder, espcailly after making my own feeder that I can go two weeks without needing to attend to it with 8 birds.

4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I have a Grandpa's feeder, and I love it. If I had it to over again though, I might go with one from Chooketeria instead. Soooo much cheaper and it looks just as sturdy and weather resistant.

http://www.chooketeria.com/Welcome.html

Of course with the Grandpa's feeder, when you have smaller chicks, you could always put the training bolts back in until they're all big enough to open it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by