Thinking of keeping homing pigeons

And I'm trying to decide on the color of the roofing, the clear is the easiest for me to get, but I don't think I've seen lofts with clear roofing, is there a reason for that?
Clear roofing is just fine. :thumbsup
Common reason you don't see much of it; Cost VS that for simple other roof options. Also local weather situations where heavier snow loads may be at risk. Don't think snow is a risk factor in your area.

There is always a chance, but I think its very unlikely they would. I'd consider leaving them separate until their loft is ready unless you have a reason not to.

IDK if there's a reason. Letting in more daylight should be a plus, don't know if it would cause overheating in summer? Someone else might know if there's a downside.
Thanks for the help! I'll just leave them separate until it's finished hopefully Friday. And I ended up getting white roofing since the clear was out of stock anyways so hopefully it'll work well! I unfortunately can't make the loft as big as I'd like, it's only going to be 24 sq feet but hopefully it'll be enough to keep these guys happy!

Not the best photos since it's pretty late here but the loft is (sloooowly) coming together. Spent as much of today and yesterday working on it as I could before the heat got me lol. And I felt too bad for the white pair being stuck indoors so I put them back with the other pair outside and everyone seems to be sticking with the partner I'd hoped they would! Still needs the front and side doors and the roof lol but I think it's coming along well! IMG-1868.jpg IMG-1866.jpg

I totally forgot to post the final loft! They seem pretty happy with it since the check x almond pair immediately claimed a nestbox and the white pair started mating within 10 minutes of being put in there lmao. Do you guys think I will get babies from them soon? I'm putting in nesting bowls today
Very nice! did you build it?

How old are they? If over a year, expect eggs in about ten days!

I sent a couple messages to people selling homers on craigslist near where I live so hopefully I'll hear back soon!
if you do hear back, but don't buy birds from them, always ask if you can see their setup. It helps sooo much. your I'll learn alot. Ask what they feed, where they get it. What flooring works best for them, etc.
What size loft would you recommend for just 2 pairs? And how many pigeons do you think it'll be able to accommodate total?
will you always have just two pairs? How many birds will you breed up to? This will affect the loft suze. But for 4 pigeons, I would do a 4×4 loft, with a flight pen on the back. doesn't need to be big, just big enough where they can get sun, and take baths. (Yes! Pigeons LOVE baths!)
And do you know anything about how you start training them? I know I'll have to wait until they have babies and just train the babies, but beyond that do I just show them the way back in the loft and after a few days of learning the area release them a mile or two away and go out from there?
you want to get them out young, at around 1 1\2 months old. But before that, they need to see all round the outside. and learn how to get in. My birds go all around the yard 10+ times before they have freedom. and they go thru the trap 20+ times. Train them to a food call. A whistle works good. Every time you feed them, whistle. That way when you're ready for them to come back in, you whistle and the should quickly go in. Always call them out of the air. That way, they know that you make the calls, not them. if you wait till they land to call them in, they think that if they kand, it's food time. Then they start to land after 5 minutes of flying. A two hour loft fly is a sign of good birds. I have had only several that good. once they start flying while they are out, instead of walking on the ground, they are getting in shape, hopefully ready to take on tosses soon. Never toss them to early. Wait till three months, I learned this the hard way. First-time do about a half mile away. Then move out about 3 miles every toss. Until you are at 20 miles. Then go out to 50, 100, 200, 400, etc. It's never bad to do short tosses, even when they have come home from a hundred miles away. any more questions? I LOVE answering them, and helping new people get in the hobby.

I'm thinking of doing maybe 10 pigeons total in the end, what size loft would be nice for them? And how often/ how much do you suggest feeding? And what time of day? And how often should they breed? You've been such a great help!

I'm thinking of doing maybe 10 pigeons total in the end, what size loft would be nice for them? And how often/ how much do you suggest feeding? And what time of day? And how often should they breed? You've been such a great help!
I would do a 40 sq. ft. Loft. Sounds like alot, but you won't regret it. Even if you just keep a couple birds, they will enjoy it. I suggest feeding once a day, for 15 minutes. Adjust accordingly, a little more in the winter, a little less in the summer. a little more when breeding, etc. I feed my birds at 3:00 pm. and change their water 4× a day. (Not necessary, but defiantly good!) And add two tablespoons of ACV per gallon of water.

How often should they breed? Well, it depends. How many birds you need, how old they are, etc. I don't like to breed my birds more than three times a year. I will do more of they are young and in prime condition. Breeding takes a lot out of the birds. Vitimins, minerals, fat, energy etc. They need to be limited, as they will breed the life out of themselves if allowed!

Thank you!! And I have a couple more questions lol, like how do you prevent them from breeding? And should I just be able to buy pigeon feed from the feed store or do I need to mix it myself?
You can get ready to go pigeon feed. That is how I used to purchase. Peeps mix their own when they have access to feed at better price than already mixed feeds.

You do not prevent them from breeding, unless you keep males, and females separate. You can prevent young pigeons from hatching,,,,, by replacing their eggs with plastic ones. Just removing eggs is not recommended,,,,,, because they will just lay another set. Pigeons are not like chickens,, that can keep laying eggs. A pigeon producing eggs takes a lot out of the pigeon. That is why placing plastic eggs will have pigeon thinking all is well, only no hatch at the end. After a longer cycle, pigeon will lay more eggs, but not constantly, if you were just removing them.

Back
Top Bottom