Thinking of keeping quail, and I have a fe questions

It seems like my decision to leave them be was a good one. I'm so useless at catching birds that mine would be totally bald. Mine look lovely, their feathering is really pretty. The shop gave me 2 "different-looking" ones, so I can tell them apart.

How many do you have, DK Newbie?

Well.. 4 breeding groups, 2 of which live with my parents. Those consist of a roo with 3 hens and a roo with 2 hens - and the last group has a big chick still living with them. At my own place I have 2 pairs, one of which has 7 chicks that are 6 days old. So that makes 11 breeders and 8 chicks total. + 2 roos that are a few months old.

Most of mine are wild colored - my original breeding group (the one with 3 hens) were. I've kept 3 females that they hatched and put 2 of them with a tuxedo roo that I bought and the last one with a blueface roo.
From the blueface roo pair, I've kept another female (blueface) and put her with a roo I don't really know the color of (he looks like a combination of a red breasted hen and a cinnamon roo or something).
The 7 chicks I have now are from that pair, though it's actually the parents of the hen that are raising the chicks as the hen hasn't been truly broody yet herself and I was dying to know what color the chicks would be :p Currently they look like bluefaces and normals so I'm actually contemplating to introduce one of the female chicks back to her father once she grows up, because I'm still dying to have chicks with his super strange color ^^ I'm against inbreeding but just this once I might do it.

We have nine Coturnix - 2 pairs and the others are male...when we had just the one pair, we decided to add another hen - it didn't workout and we separated her - she escaped when I was feeding her and she flew over the neighbour's 2 story home, across the road and into the bush...the two pairs are tame and one of the males...the rest are semi tame...our hens are totally useless in the 'Mum department'...would love some chicks, so will probably end up getting an incubator...we don't clip wings, but if we did, would only clip one wing...

Back
Top Bottom