Thinking outside the box, breed suggestions~Update pg 8~

Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Washington State
I thought it would be fun, and probably informative for me to get some breed suggestions for ME! We are ready to get another dog in the next 6 months or so. I am looking for a Toy to Medium sized breed, coat texture/length isn't much of an issue but I really would like to stay away from the Medium breeds with a long coat (such as Aussies). A Toy breed with long hair is ok -- I already have one Papillon. I will not consider a breed that has to be shaved such as a Schnauzer. I am looking to get a dog that I can use as my demo-dog for OB and training in my business, and possibly compete in Rally, AKC OB, Agility or even dabble in conformation (long shot but would consider it). The breed needs to be a thinking breed and one that likes to work with people.

So far my husband wants a MinPin. I'm not so excited about that. I have told him I would not mind having the following: *good quality* Chihuahua, another Papillon, an Australian Cattle Dog, Mini Bull Terrier, or another Deker Rat Terrier. So far he's veto'd most of these saying they are ugly LOL. And the Rat Terrier he won't have because he doesn't care for terriers (from expereince).

We'll be getting another large dog for some kind of sport, probably next year. I would like a Beauceron, he wants a Doberman. This is really hard to make a good decision for our family!

My real problem comes from the fact that DH and I can't seem to agree on a breed. The one breed we used to agree on are GSDs and I don't want another one. This has become very frustrating for me -- I am hoping some of you might come up with some fresh suggestions for our family.
smile.png

Last edited:
I went straight to Papillon before I read that you already had one and wanted another. I wouldn't own an MinPin if someone wanted to give me the AKC Champion. And it would have to be an awfully special Chihuahua. I say for a compromise, you choose the small dog and DH chooses the large dog (though I am a Dobie fan, so I have to agree with him on that one).
smile.png

Thanks
smile.png
You did help me quite a bit LOL but what I realized is that I feel I should be the one to pick the larger dog
lol.png
You helped me realize the smaller dog option wasn't as important to me as the larger dog option.

We had recently and for a short amount of time decided on a Doberman. In fact I have a breeder picked out and was talking to her extensively. But..then I got pregnant, so I emailed her and told her the timing was bad. Since then I have come to realize a Dobie isn't what I really want. I have tried to compromise with DH about the breeds. He wants a Dobie because of how they look, he insists that the ears or done. I would mind having one *less* if we could keep the ears natural-- I really don't want to deal with the taping of the ears. And I know the breed pretty well -- they can act like idiot teenagers longer than most breeds.

The truth is whatever dog or dogs we end up with in the next couple years I will be the primary handler/trainer/feeder/walker. Of course I feel like that should give me more sway in the picking
tongue.png
but I want to be fair to him too. I guess he'll get his MinPin
smack.gif
haha.

Yeah we could also agree on a Pap, but they tend to be quite expensive in my area -- for a good quality one. I will have to do some pricing on litters when I first started looking (back in 1999) a good quality Pap was running around $900-1800 average. I ended up getting one in Oregon and that's the dog we have now. He's been a wonderful little dog, but he's going deaf and isn't good for demo any more.

Yeah, and they're even more spendy now.
hmm.png
I have a friend that breeds them, and she did let a pet quality Pap go for $700 (almost snatched him up, since my other one is PQ anyway, and his daddy is my FAVORITE Pap ever). But her SQ babies start at $1500...
th.gif

At least if he gets his Min Pin, he can have the Dobie "look" in mini form and if it acts like an idiot, it's a tiny idiot instead of a huge one!!
lol.png

I've been a vet tech for 12 years and honestly, had to look up the Beaucerons....wow - what a cool dog!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
ep.gif
Is there any other breed? I'll come back after I get over the shock.

hugs.gif
I know...
hit.gif
I just can't get another GSD. Emotionally I don't think I could. I have had two GSD's in the past six years. Both of them turned out tragic. I know several breeders....I just can't do it again, not this soon. I like the Beauceron breed a lot, I only have had any real contact with 3 of them, one of them was fabulous and in Ring Sport. I met him in person twice and watched him trial both times. His owner also allowed me to pet him and just have some fun with him. I have researched the bloodlines from his kennel and would take on of her pups in a heartbeat -- but I cannot afford it right now, and emotionally, again - just not ready. Plus, a smaller dog is easier to house.

What about a german pinscher? I think they aren't quite so hyper as min pins, and are supposed to be excellent for obedience. I think they are around cocker spaniel size.

Quote:
ep.gif
Is there any other breed? I'll come back after I get over the shock.

hugs.gif
I know...
hit.gif
I just can't get another GSD. Emotionally I don't think I could. I have had two GSD's in the past six years. Both of them turned out tragic. I know several breeders....I just can't do it again, not this soon. I like the Beauceron breed a lot, I only have had any real contact with 3 of them, one of them was fabulous and in Ring Sport. I met him in person twice and watched him trial both times. His owner also allowed me to pet him and just have some fun with him. I have researched the bloodlines from his kennel and would take on of her pups in a heartbeat -- but I cannot afford it right now, and emotionally, again - just not ready. Plus, a smaller dog is easier to house.

hugs.gif

I'm still grieving over my Charlie Girl gone to the Rainbow Bridge more than two years ago now. Funny thing is, we knew she was part wolfhound, but never knew where her large erect ears and some other qualities came from. Now that we have the boys, we KNOW she must have been part GSD. They are just like her personality wise.
You said your DH doesn't like terriers? Min Pins are terriers, are they not? In fact if I'm not mistaken, Pinscher means terrier in German.
What about one of the spitz breeds? American eskimo, etc.? Oh! I know! A keeshond...or is that too big?

I'm an ACD girl, but here are some suggestions:
- ACD
- ACD
- ACD
wink.png

- border collie
- kelpie
- mudi
- pumi (want one sooo badly myself someday)
- schipperke
- Norwegian Lundehund (though they are prone to shortened lifespan due to digestion issue within breed...but they can do this
lundehund.JPG
) or other spitz type dog
- Bedlington terrier <3 (though prob too much grooming involved to fit requirements)

Back
Top Bottom