Thinking to plant clover or alfaalfa for my flock?

I just bought some clover seed to plant. Except that I need some straw or maybe some dirt to cover up the seeds. The last time I scattered grass seeds in the run the mice and chickens ate them ALL.

th.gif

YES! Keep in mind that they will need to be 'covered' -maybe with shade cloth or chicken wire so the chickens will be able to wait until they germinate .Clover will send roots underground,so maybe more slugs/gophers-but that's a full course meal then!

we have a steep slope that runs to the street and for errosion control we were recommended to plant clover.. we let me tell you.. they love the arrow leaf clover. it blooms a purpleish flower.... the clover with the white flower they don't touch. but we quit mowing all the clover and let them at it.. it is their favorite wild green at my place. and it is good for the bees too

This is what I am going to try in the spring, which will be Feb/March time frame. Have to think on the best way to protect it during germination, but I think it will be a nice change for the girls when summer comes. I have basic pasture land right now so they do get a variety of wild flowers and grass as it is.

http://www.groworganic.com/

Omega-3 Chicken Forage Blend

- Item#: SPI800 Omega-3 fatty acids are an important component of a healthy diet. One way to get this substance in our food is to eat eggs from chickens raised on a diet that promotes the formation of Omega-3s right in the egg. This blend is planted for chicken forage to achieve this high Omega-3 result. A University study shows that there is almost 6 times the Omega-3 fatty acids in an Omega egg versus a conventional egg! Plant annually after danger of frost has passed. Caution: Flax can form prussic acid when exposed to frost so do not graze horses on this mix. Consists of: 20% Common Flax, 5% Ladino Clover, 5% Birdsfoot Broadleaf Trefoil, 10% Non-dormant Alfalfa, 20% Red Cowpeas, and 40% Buckwheat. Plant at 50 pounds per acre or 2-3 pounds per 1,000 sq. ft.

NOTE to Certified Organic Growers: This seed is coated with Nitro-Coat Organic, and is OMRI listed. This coating uses all organic ingredients: the proper rhizobacteria, a Calcium Carbonate coating that is naturally water absorbing to speed seed germination, and an OMRI listed organic adhesive.
I think the cowpeas will be OK because the will be green and not dried. As long as they are fresh and moist the chickens should be able to digest them, where as the dried peas aren't good for them because there isn't enough moisture for good digestion.

Back
Top Bottom