Thinned Asparagus Bed

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by dianehodges, Mar 20, 2013.

1. dianehodges

dianehodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    I thinned my asparagus bed and was afraid I would not get any spears this year They are already starting to peek thru the soil The roots are 5 years old and the spears are bigger around than my ring finger I also put some in containers but they have not come up yet This is also the first year I have been successful starting tomatoes from seed Looks like this is going to be a good gardening year

2. nascarjunkie1

nascarjunkie1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Marion, Arkansas
    I just dont have the patients for growing asparagus. Takes to long...lol! Good luck.

3. dianehodges

dianehodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Try to find someone who has had them for a while and dig out a few These were 5 year old roots, started from 10 roots I purchased at Wal Mart

4. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    we have asparagus that someone next door had planted many many many years ago; i want to get a better harvest, because the box they are in belongs to my other neighbhors, we are sort of in the middle... so want to transplant: for us its almost summer (our spring is very very short) and the asparagus season has started and almost finished already... when should i dig up roots and replant.? they are in a deep container that could also use some fertizlizing etc... very few places in this coutnry grow asparagus as a crop; adn here in our fields we find it wild for a week or so before everything gets dried up and we hit summer but i love the stuff. we are near jerusalem which is considered foot hills of the high desert: cold nights, hot days, fairly dry, 750 meter altitude, rocky soil...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by