Third attempt at incubating.

MOST IMPORTANT: no candling before day 13.

I came in late on this. Please explain the above. I do the first candling on the fourth thru sixth day. The veining is quite visible on day 6. I like to candle as soon as possible to eliminate eggs that are not developing to avoid spoilage.
Hey, don't look at me. I am a complete novice and I have never successfully hatched any eggs.

The last 6 eggs I bought (ebay) were hatched by a friend as I am hopeless. I bought 6 new ones, plus a brand new incubator. THEY were successful by not touching the eggs before about day 13. That doesn't mean it's right. It just means that I'm not touching the eggs until day 13...because they were successful, and I haven't been.

I'm sure others will say differently...heck, if you've been successful candling on day 4-6, GO FOR IT. Remember: I have never successfully hatched anything!!

Hey, don't look at me. I am a complete novice and I have never successfully hatched any eggs.

The last 6 eggs I bought (ebay) were hatched by a friend as I am hopeless. I bought 6 new ones, plus a brand new incubator. THEY were successful by not touching the eggs before about day 13. That doesn't mean it's right. It just means that I'm not touching the eggs until day 13...because they were successful, and I haven't been.

I'm sure others will say differently...heck, if you've been successful candling on day 4-6, GO FOR IT. Remember: I have never successfully hatched anything!!
Candling in and of itself does no harm-I candle weekly-but what is on your hands might. Be sure to wash your hands before candling.

I usually let broody hens do the hatching, but my wife just got me a new incubator so I put in some cochin and serama bantam eggs just to try it out.

No, I'm an old geezer who's had birds, of one kind or another, for over 50 years.
LOL!! So, I guess you're doing just fine!! I just don't want to screw this up...so I'm going to do what they did. I've had two batches of croaked babies (in the shell) so I don't want to take a chance.

Since you're so experienced, any helpful tips you'd like to suggest? Believe me, I'll listen to anything anyone says! :)

I just put 22 eggs in my new NR360. I had it running for a few days before and
I am very pleased with the temp and humidity. I was going to suggest that you put water in the incubator before you compare the readings. I have hatched chicks, ducks and geese in cheap styrofoam incubators, but this one is better. Also, remember to reset the days when you set you eggs. The egg turner will stop at day 18 so you can get ready for lock down. I also stuck two adhesive hooks to the lid because I had a hard time holding it and setting it back on the body. The lid must fit tight into the groves. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom