This came from a different chick EE 4 1/2 week old

Bethel_Alaska

Songster
Apr 28, 2019
Bethel Alaska
04D7ED93-9633-4AF8-AE84-E1100AA127AB.jpeg 893FAF06-5D20-43C4-A163-57851ECEF846.jpeg F575A1A7-4617-4C04-8C24-D41FDE43E114.jpeg F575A1A7-4617-4C04-8C24-D41FDE43E114.jpeg 647C1BB7-E81E-4330-8AEB-778059C36665.jpeg Hey there so about 7 days ago I started Corid treatment on our chicks we have 7 4 1/2 week olds and 3 2 1/2 week olds I have given them new medicated Corid water daily and also a oral drop due to some strange poop I was told it was some intestinal shedding and was advised to treat all birds with Corid I had posted about it last week so this morning I am changing the water and giving them there fermented feed they get twice a day once in morning and at night we use Scratch and Peck organic chick starter and they have grit as well. Our EE pooped and this is what it was is the Corid not working or what is happening? The original bird that I had posted last week is a Australorp. Any and all help and advise is truly appreciated thank you sooooo much

Intestinal shedding is normal, and looks stringy, pink. It's sort of like silly string from the can, if you remember that stuff. You don't treat for intestinal shedding. If there is excess, you look for stress factors.

Frank bleeding from coccidiosis is bloody red and watery. Chicks typically look hunched and fluffed. Obviously treatment is necessary for that with Corid if you don't want to lose anyone.

Then there are worms. That honestly looks like a worm, possibly an earthworm that was passed, but it could be a round worm. I know this sounds gross, but did you "tease" the worm a little to see if it was solid body? Intestinal lining will generally tease apart like that string stuff while a worm is a more solid object.

You can get excess intestinal lining from worm situation. For that, the only thing on lable on the market now for chickens is Aquasol, which is exorbitantly expensive. The active ingredient is fenbendazole, which is also the ingredient in Safeguard goat wormer.

Or you could pick up some Wazine. While off label for layers now, it was used for years for laying hens.

I'll ink some good diagnostic photos for poop.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

LofMc

5B84792A-82BD-473B-8A3E-95175A84229D.jpeg A2C7F258-A224-43E6-8854-EFD60220E5BE.jpeg
Intestinal shedding is normal, and looks stringy, pink. It's sort of like silly string from the can, if you remember that stuff. You don't treat for intestinal shedding. If there is excess, you look for stress factors.

Frank bleeding from coccidiosis is bloody red and watery. Chicks typically look hunched and fluffed. Obviously treatment is necessary for that with Corid if you don't want to lose anyone.

Then there are worms. That honestly looks like a worm, possibly an earthworm that was passed, but it could be a round worm. I know this sounds gross, but did you "tease" the worm a little to see if it was solid body? Intestinal lining will generally tease apart like that string stuff while a worm is a more solid object.

You can get excess intestinal lining from worm situation. For that, the only thing on lable on the market now for chickens is Aquasol, which is exorbitantly expensive. The active ingredient is fenbendazole, which is also the ingredient in Safeguard goat wormer.

Or you could pick up some Wazine. While off label for layers now, it was used for years for laying hens.

I'll ink some good diagnostic photos for poop.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

LofMc
Thank you for you help originally last week when I posted about another bird I thought it may have been worms but was told not to treat them for worms and to treat with Corid I do have Wazine but was advised not to use it so I am just so confused I did loose a chick last week that was not doing well fluffed up and not thriving.. I did not really dig around in the poo I just found to much since it looked similar to what I found last week her is a pic from last weeks other bird

I would love to see a pic from last week's bird.

Standing around huddled and fluffed is a sign of illness. If it was truly bloody looking diarrhea, then Corid was the answer. But...if it is worm overload, which can weigh down young birds quickly to the point of anemia, Corid would do nothing.

Wazine is simply "off label" now meaning the FDA no longer approves its use in layers of eggs for human consumption. It was used with great success for years, although it only targets round worms, and if used without rotation with other wormers, can have resistance built against it by the worms.

The whole FDA approved stuff is merely politics and the woes of "natural" flooding the legislature from people who don't like drugs.

If you use the eggs only for your family, you can use off label. It gets trickier if you sell or give away eggs. No egg police goes around to small holders. It's only if you have 3,000 birds or more that you have to receive regular inspections which includes illegal residues.

Thus, if you use the off label wormers for your flock, you can decide what to use and how long to pull eggs, if any time, depending upon your egg uses. Many (most) of the wormers are also used for humans at much greater concentrations. Overall what residue remains in the egg is minuscule. The real fear is the over use of antibiotics as there is now thought that over use of food animal antibiotics, with antibiotic types used in humans, helps build the super bugs that become antibiotic resistant. And to their credit, there was a time span in farming where too many animals were crowded into too small an area and then relied on heavily medicated flocks and herds to deal with the subsequent illnesses. Fortunately, those days are mostly over.

Do be aware that if someone outside your family got sick from your eggs, and they were tested and illegal residue found, then you could be liable for any FDA sanctions that might arise. Hence the super long pull times so that NO residue can be found. Some pundits (usually vets) believe that you have to remove the bird from production if ever treated, while yet requiring treatment of any sick bird. Organic farmers like my daughter simply cull at that point, which is sad, because the animal becomes a huge liability.

THAT's why there are restrictions on antibiotics, and sadly a lot of the wormers were also restricted though they are not antibiotics. Many companies simply gave up with the expense of keeping up on all the extra studies required to prove safety under the new regulations. Small back yard keepers don't create a large enough market to warrant their expense of FDA approval. Large commercial operations use sanitation and swapping out the flock every 2 years...which means any animal over 2 years is generally culled...to eliminate any need to treat.

So if you suspect round worms, it is safe to use the Wazine on your birds. Follow label. If you have anyone in the family with drug or chemical sensitivities, pull eggs for about 2 weeks from the last worming ( Wazine is often used in several 2 week intervals). You generally worm, then worm again 10 to 14 days later to get the adult worms that have now hatched.

But that assumes worms (and only round worms if Wazine is used). If it is truly coccidiosis, then Corid is the answer.

Only a fecal float and sample at a vet would know the true difference. Barring that (as many can't find a vet that treats chickens or don't wish to spend a lot of dollars on a chicken), then you have to go by symptoms with some hopefully educated guessing.

LofMc

Last edited:
Okay see them above the reply copy....

Pic on left looks a bit worrisome as that appears to maybe be some bloody discharge.

However the large clumps are worms. I'm almost seeing segments so wondering if possibly tapes...which will emaciate a flock quickly.

The only thing to get rid of tapes is Praziquental which you have to use off label.

Looking closely at those droppings will provide an answer, hopefully. I'll post a link to different worm types in a future post. (Have to go through my bookmarks and busy at the moment).

LofMc

B8933400-AA1B-444D-8705-2519D02133E4.jpeg
43E865E9-6A47-4DBE-BD70-5A737DFE14DA.jpeg
I would love to see a pic from last week's bird.

Standing around huddled and fluffed is a sign of illness. If it was truly bloody looking diarrhea, then Corid was the answer. But...if it is worm overload, which can weigh down young birds quickly to the point of anemia, Corid would do nothing.

Wazine is simply "off label" now meaning the FDA no longer approves its use in layers of eggs for human consumption. It was used with great success for years, although it only targets round worms, and if used without rotation with other wormers, can have resistance built against it by the worms.

The whole FDA approved stuff is merely politics and the woes of "natural" flooding the legislature from people who don't like drugs.

If you use the eggs only for your family, you can use off label. It gets trickier if you sell or give away eggs. No egg police goes around to small holders. It's only if you have 3,000 birds or more that you have to receive regular inspections which includes illegal residues.

Thus, if you use the off label wormers for your flock, you can decide what to use and how long to pull eggs, if any time, depending upon your egg uses. Many (most) of the wormers are also used for humans at much greater concentrations. Overall what residue remains in the egg is minuscule. The real fear is the over use of antibiotics as there is now thought that over use of food animal antibiotics, with antibiotic types used in humans, helps build the super bugs that become antibiotic resistant. And to their credit, there was a time span in farming where too many animals were crowded into too small an area and then relied on heavily medicated flocks and herds to deal with the subsequent illnesses. Fortunately, those days are mostly over.

Do be aware that if someone outside your family got sick from your eggs, and they were tested and illegal residue found, then you could be liable for any FDA sanctions that might arise. Hence the super long pull times so that NO residue can be found. Some pundits (usually vets) believe that you have to remove the bird from production if ever treated, while yet requiring treatment of any sick bird. Organic farmers like my daughter simply cull at that point, which is sad, because the animal becomes a huge liability.

THAT's why there are restrictions on antibiotics, and sadly a lot of the wormers were also restricted though they are not antibiotics. Many companies simply gave up with the expense of keeping up on all the extra studies required to prove safety under the new regulations. Small back yard keepers don't create a large enough market to warrant their expense of FDA approval. Large commercial operations use sanitation and swapping out the flock every 2 years...which means any animal over 2 years is generally culled...to eliminate any need to treat.

So if you suspect round worms, it is safe to use the Wazine on your birds. Follow label. If you have anyone in the family with drug or chemical sensitivities, pull eggs for about 2 weeks from the last worming ( Wazine is often used in several 2 week intervals). You generally worm, then worm again 10 to 14 days later to get the adult worms that have now hatched.

But that assumes worms (and only round worms if Wazine is used). If it is truly coccidiosis, then Corid is the answer.

Only a fecal float and sample at a vet would know the true difference. Barring that (as many can't find a vet that treats chickens or don't wish to spend a lot of dollars on a chicken), then you have to go by symptoms with some hopefully educated guessing.

LofMc

ABFEDCC8-9B92-46EC-9940-A681BD43262D.jpeg 760EF9B4-FF0F-4F54-85A0-017B007CFB41.jpeg
That could be the type of droppings seen in cecal coccidiosis shed. They can look like casings of cheese-like or bloody material.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying.18/
Ok so I have been treating with Corid for 7 days I am going to a vet but for our pups shots should I ask what he thinks? What should I do? As mentioned our chicks are still young 4 1/2 weeks and 2 1/2 weeks so they do not lay yet. This is what a different birds droppings today

Back
Top Bottom