This came out of one of my chickens! parasite or did they eat this ? Heads up its gross.

LindsayDarling

Songster
May 26, 2023
Lake County California
Found this in some poop. I've never seen a parasite like this, I'm a newb still. Wondering if they ate this? We just moved to a new area n they've been free ranging.

Attachments

• 20240415_104957.jpg
    20240415_104957.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 24
Was the poop on the ground? I'm thinking the worm may have just crawled out of the ground on to the poop. He is sort of gross isn't he?

If it had been eaten and processed through the gizzard, it would be worm mush (unrecognizable).

And it doesn't look like any intestinal parasite that poultry has.

I'll tag in @dawg53 and @Eggcessive too.

To me it looks like a string of poo pieces encased in intestinal mucosy lining which would hint to an inflammation.
The possible causes:
  • Parasites such as coccidia and worms
  • Bacteria
  • Virus
  • poisonous feed
Treating for worms and coccidia will not harm your bird and a strong tea brewed with oregano, thyme, sage and fennel will help the immune system.
And few days of Moro carrot soup to help restore the gut balance after deworming.

Medicinal charcoal can be of use as well in case the feed got moldy or some kind of poisonous insect/critter was ingested.

Was the poop on the ground? I'm thinking the worm may have just crawled out of the ground on to the poop. He is sort of gross isn't he?

If it had been eaten and processed through the gizzard, it would be worm mush (unrecognizable).

And it doesn't look like any intestinal parasite that poultry has.

I'll tag in @dawg53 and @Eggcessive too.
My husband cut it open when he came from work n said it was an intestine🤢 So we're thinking one of our cats got a bird, it may or may not have been eaten by a chicken after that. I need to watch for worms now! And mitesif they got a bird 🙃

Back
Top Bottom