This chick has an interesting pattern..

Only if the mother was Barred, & Father solid.
Solid Roo X Barred Hen = Male chicks with headspots, & Solid Female chicks(No Headspot).
OH no.. then my solid lavender Orpington roo with welsummer could be males… hahaha. Funny - i was so hopeful they were females Because they didn’t have head spots but DID chest bumping.. OH LORD.. going to have to create a bachelor pad.

OH no.. then my solid lavender Orpington roo with welsummer could be males… hahaha. Funny - i was so hopeful they were females Because they didn’t have head spots but DID chest bumping.. OH LORD.. going to have to create a bachelor pad.
Welsummers aren't Barred. Also chest bumping isn't necessarily a male only trait, females do it too.

Oh, okay.
I just re homed one of my roosters.. it Was really difficult to do.. no one wants roosters. I really like my rooster that i kept. And if i have more in the current hatches that are happening - i probably wont have luck re-homing. So im thinking put them in their own area. I hear that they can get along well together.. and give my hens A break.

A chick can only have barring (white stripes across the feathers) if at least one parent has barring. If your rooster has no barring, and your hens have no barring, then your chicks have no barring either.

Chicks with barring often have a headspot (white or yellow on thir head).

In crosses where the mother has barring and the father does not, the sons are barred but the daughters are not, so you can sex them by looking for headspots (sons) or no headspots (daughters.)

But in crosses where no parent has barring, you will get chicks of both genders with no headspots, so you have to sex them in other ways (like by waiting for them to grow enough that the males show big red combs.)

A chick can only have barring (white stripes across the feathers) if at least one parent has barring. If your rooster has no barring, and your hens have no barring, then your chicks have no barring either.

Chicks with barring often have a headspot (white or yellow on thir head).

In crosses where the mother has barring and the father does not, the sons are barred but the daughters are not, so you can sex them by looking for headspots (sons) or no headspots (daughters.)

But in crosses where no parent has barring, you will get chicks of both genders with no headspots, so you have to sex them in other ways (like by waiting for them to grow enough that the males show big red combs.)
Thank you for your informative reply! Appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom