I had a sizzle pullet of 11 weeks happily taking treats from my hand in the morning Saturday, who died with her head in the food dish in the early afternoon. I had a 14 week old silkie do the same thing this afternoons, after being rascally & affectionate & hungry this morning. I lost three other young silkies this way this past spring. I've lost 3 other silkies to a slow, wasting, partially-paralyzing form of fungal or mold poisoning ( the vet said she thought it was mold), which gradually wasted their digestive systems & muscles. What's going on here???? ... THIS DAMP IS KILLING MY BIRDS!!!!!!! 2 year, a hundred chickens, no predators at all, just this @!#$!! Mold!!! Half had a pathogen that took them out quickly. Half had a pathogen that took them out more slowly. All had vaulted skulls with protruding brain (I guess), so were more prone to seizures, and were highly bred to get them as pretty as they were, so they were genetically predisposed to be weaker. All but one.... the one last week was a Buff Orp x EE pullet of 14 weeks. Every one of them was not yet sexually mature or laying. Here are the environmental factors: I have a couple dozen bantams and several chicks running together in a 250 s.f. run with sand 4" deep, gravel a foot deep, and a French drain. This is unroofed, due to locational factors & size (it's a modified large dog run & is fully hardware clothed & supported, but the roof angles are two shallow to withstand snow lad if closed in) . It is on a rocky hillside, under several deciduous trees, so it is mostly shaded, and we are in a rainy environment. I leave the hanging feeders inside the coop on rainy days, and in a covered area if rain is expected. They do spill a little food on the ground, and the do tpeck at the ground, of course, which I continually rake up & over each morning after a rain to try to help dry it out. I have a friend who has had this same problem with her silkies, but not with her other birds. What I want to know is........ WHAT CAN I DO???? Right now, I am considering not EVER feeding the birds in the run again, because the sand just may be wet days after a huge rain storm. My coop is pretty clean. There's no way I can rake squished poo out of wet sand nor pick crumbles out of wet sand. Sometimes fog rolls in for half the day and the coop with its food is fairly damp inside as well. I'm in Western PA. Has anyone else in a damp environment beat the mold in the soil & spilled food, somehow?